19. Final Showdown

"Are we sure this is the place?" Miranda asked. David had given her the road and she had followed it until he told her they were there.

"According to the Sniffer, this is where Josh is," David told her.

Miranda studied the building. It looked like it had been abandoned for years. There was moss growing up the sides, and there were no signs that it had been disturbed in a long time. "Why here?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. I guess Quasar had something hidden here, something he needs. Why else would he pick a place like this?"

"That's a good question. You're probably right." She put the car into park and shut off the engine. Her nerves were beginning to rear their ugly heads. She took a deep breath. That is something she hoped she would be able to get over pretty quickly. A nervous agent was a careless agent, in her opinion.

David watched her, his curiosity rising. She was looking at the building that loomed ahead like she was terrified. He reached over and touched her arm. Miranda looked at him, a little startled. He could see the fear in her eyes.

"It's okay," he told her softly. "I was nervous on my first mission too."

Miranda took another deep breath. "I'm not just nervous, David. I'm freaking out. I'm about to go into a building that I know nothing about, to help take down a criminal I know nothing about, other than the fact that he can incinerate me with a touch of his hand. Not to mention that this is the first time that I have ever done anything else like this in my entire life."

David smiled. He needed to say something to her that would reassure her, and it had to be short because they didn't have a whole lot of time. He thought for a moment and recalled everything he knew about her. Abruptly, a thought pushed itself into his brain. Miranda had told him something about her family. He was sure that a reminder of that now, would speak volumes to her.

"It's in your blood, remember? You told me that your father and grandfather were highly decorated detectives. Maybe their brilliance runs through your veins. I have seen a touch of it already."

Miranda stared at him, her expression blank. That was the nicest thing he had said to her since she had known him. "Thank you. I needed that."

"I know." David took his gun from its holster. "Now get your weapon, Agent Wolfe, and join me for the showdown." He got out of the car, a grin on his face.

Miranda couldn't help but smile. She took her gun out, and she got out of the car. She cleared her thoughts and fears from her mind. She could worry about them later. "So, what's the plan?"

He gazed at her. All emotions seemed to be gone. She had tucked them safely away. That ability was what was going to make her an amazing agent. He kept his voice low. "I'll go to the front. They will be expecting me. I want you to find a way in from the back. Quasar won't be expecting you, Miranda. You're my surprise weapon."

She nodded with a smirk on her lips. It faded almost as quickly as it had appeared. "Be careful, David."

"Always am." He moved cautiously toward the front of the building, with his game face on.

Miranda watched him go, then started herself. She remembered a story that her father used to tell her, about a raid they had done once. One part of it stood out well in her mind.

"It didn't seem like we were going to win this time, take down the criminals, I mean. But the criminals had no idea of my plan. They had no idea of the men I had coming in through the back. Silent, but deadly."