Prologue ..

Be your own best friend first. Learn how to respect yourself. Decide what boundaries are important to you and respect them. Understand what values are important to you, stick by them and seek others who honor those values.

Be trustworthy. If they tell you a secret, make sure to keep it. Never ever, ever, tell someone a secret your friend wanted you to keep. Don't even leak it out to someone you know you can trust. A secret is a secret. Don't gossip about your best friend, don't say anything that might turn into a rumor, and don't do things that you know would upset them. For example, if she/he had a crush on a cute guy/girl she/he would be embarrassed if you told someone. Make sure you know your best friend is okay with it. Things like that are sometimes hard to do, but if you want a solid friendship you have to be trustworthy.

Never leave them. If you do, you'll regret it. Never say "Yeah, I'll walk home with you!" or "I'll meet up with you tomorrow" and then you don't do it. That makes your friend question your reliability. Always do what you say you'll do. Trust.

Share laughs. There is nothing like laughing and smiling to bring people together. Besides, when they're really friends, you guys can laugh at the dumbest and funniest stuff.

Take a moment to listen. Nobody likes a best friend who just talks and talks, but never listens. If you're a chatterbox, it's okay if you're also a good listener. Whenever your best friend says something, listen carefully and say something. Don't just say "yeah" and move on. Don't interrupt or fidget continually while they're talking to you. If they ask for advice, listen carefully and give them the best advice you can. It'll earn you respect and of course, make them come to you more.

If they pick another friend over you, just try to be friends with her friend too. Maybe you guys can be a group of friends! Everyone is always looking for new friends! But never ever leave the old one!