Better man

Chapter Twelve: Better man

"This time I want it all, showing you all the cards, giving you all my heart. This time I'll take the chance, this time I'll be your man, I can be all you need, this time it's all in me. Last time I wasn't sure, this time I will give you more, I'm more mature, I'll show you. Last time I didn't know, I messed up and let you go, I need you - don't say no..." This time by John Legend

oOo

There comes a point in one's life where everything you want turns crystal clear. It's like, you wake up one more morning and suddenly, you're ready to dive into an unknown abyss without thinking twice. That morning when Jackson Avery woke up, he felt the same thing. He knew what his heart wants and he'll be damned if he doesn't give it all he's got.

oOo

April burrowed her face further into her pillow to stifle the loud blaring sound of her alarm; she expected Jackson to hit the snooze button right after it went off but that didn't happen. She opened her sleep laden eyes and started reaching for the pesky clock; she tapped it brusquely with her hand before sitting up. She turned her head to the side but was greeted by an empty space; "Where on earth is he?" she mumbled as she started climbing out of their bed. She planted her feet on the floor and slowly made her way towards the door; she stepped into the hallway and almost instantly, her olfactory senses were assaulted with the smell of pancakes and freshly brewed coffee. She raised her brow as she walked towards the living room; she halted her steps just as Jackson turned the stove off. "What are you doing?"

Jackson slid the last batch of pancake on the stack before lifting his gaze; "Morning beautiful, sleep alright?"

April perused the breakfast bar, a small smile ghosting her lips; "You've been busy" she said. Her eyes then strayed towards Jackson's apron clad body; "And you're wearing an apron" she mused.

Jackson smirked and playfully turned around to show his bare back; "And naked too" he winked.

April's jaw dropped; "Y-you're what?"

Jackson laughed as he grabbed the plate before rounding to counter; "Close your pretty mouth babe, I'm wearing pyjamas"

April swallowed her embarrassment; "You're an ass!"

Jackson ignored her statement and placed the plate on top of the counter; he leaned forward and planted a chaste kiss on April's forehead. "Eat up, we don't want to be late"

April pulled a chair and hopped up; "Eat with me?"

Jackson moved a plate right in front of his wife and started loading it up with pancakes; "I will but let's get you fed first"

April stared at Jackson with amusement; "I'm not a child, I'm quite sure I can manage"

"Can't I spoil my wife for once?"

"Well, if you put it that way..."

Jackson perched himself up on the chair beside April's; "Do you have plans after work?"

"Nope" April replied before taking a huge bite of her food. After a couple of seconds, she turned towards him; "Banana pancakes? Now I feel really spoiled."

Jackson grinned; "It's still your favourite, right?"

"Very much, thank you"

Jackson plucked a piece of bacon; "Since you don't have any plans tonight, want to go out on a date with me?" he asked casually.

April choked on her food; she clamped her hands on her mouth, trying to stifle her coughs.

Jackson bit his bottom lip to keep himself from laughing. He lifted his hand and gently thumped April's back; "You okay in there?"