Chapter Three

I tapped on Robert's window, my fingers frozen and stiff from the climb.

The window opened almost immediately, and I carefully jumped down into the warm glow of Robert's room, relieved I'd actually made it.

"Holy Saints, Ria, you're going to break your neck climbing up the castle in the dark. Just come in through the front gate."

"They wouldn't let me in through the front gate," I answered, going up to the fire glowing in his hearth and warming my white fingers.

"What? Why not?" Robert asked, closing the window and joining me at the fire.

"Something John's mother said, apparently."

"Well I say you can come in whenever you'd like, so you'll come whenever you like. After all..." his voice quieted, "I am in charge now."

I said nothing for a moment, watching Robert as he stared at the crackling fire, fingering his father's ring.

"Old Geoffrey is very sorry," I finally said softly, "You know he loves your father."

"Loved," Robert corrected flatly, "My father is dead."

"Robert, the reason I risked breaking my neck was to see, er," I licked my lips, afraid he'd be offended, "Just to see if you're... quite alright?"

He didn't say anything for a moment, then answered quietly, "Of course I'm alright. It's not really as if... as if anything has changed. I haven't seen my father in almost two years."

The hard edge in his voice was unmistakable.

"Your father went to war for you, Robert," I proceeded cautiously, "So that you would have a country and title. He didn't go because he didn't care for you. He... went because he did."

Robert said nothing.

I looked back at the fire, wondering if this had been a good idea. Perhaps John's mother was right. Boys preferred to grieve alone.

If Robert even was grieving. He seemed angry, not sad.

Lord Adam was a good man. He had been away crusading when Robert was very small, and shortly after he returned to England was when he found me in the woods, rescued me. He'd come by once in a while to visit with Old Geoffrey. He'd smile, his kind green eyes crinkling up as he asked me how old I was now. He eventually started bringing Robert to play with me while he and Geoffrey talked.

Obviously, allowing your heir to associate with the orphan the tavern-keeper raised surprised many people, even angered some. Including Robert's mother.

But Lord Adam didn't seem to care. He was a kind, good man. I sniffled.

Robert looked at me and then quickly away.

"Robert," I asked suddenly, "Do you remember when your father went away on the third crusade?"

"Yes," he answered reluctantly. "I was... nine."

I nodded. "He told us both that he would be going away, but if we continued to play together, just as we had when he'd brought you when he came to see Old Geoffrey, it'd be just as though he were still here."

"Ria, I don't need you to tell me that as long as we're friends it will be just as though my father is alive," Robert snapped. "He also said when he got back from that crusade that he would never have to go again, but then he did. Two years ago. To France to fight with his king."

Robert took his father's ring off his finger, tightening his fist around it.

"Perhaps you're more fortunate to have never met your parents," he spat, "You're free to imagine that they were only torn from you because they could not help it."