Mask hides the Sorrow

(Disclaimer: Henry and all the other kids are like 16-17, Peter and the best boys are 11 and the adults are whatever age they need to be)

Everyone thought Henry was Horrid. Everyone said so, even his mother.

"What are we going to do about that horrid boy?" his mother sighed.

"How did two people as nice as us have such a horrid child?" exhaled his father.

Everyone thought Peter was Perfect. Everyone said so.

"You make us so proud, you perfect boy," his mother smiled.

"Everyone would love to have a child as perfect as you," praised his father.

Each day was the same as the last.

"HENRY, get down those stairs right now and get ready for school otherwise there will be no more television for a month," shouted his father up the stairs.

Henry stared up at the cream ceiling of his messy room. He climbed out of his comfy bed while his stomach did summersaults of the thought of another day. All Henry wanted to do was go back to sleep but he knew if he did that he would be severely punished. Henry was always being punished because everything he did was never good enough. He had stopped trying a long time ago to make his parents happy. With them always comparing him to Perfect Peter, there was no way he'd be able to reach their expectations. His parents thought he wasn't good enough; this hurt him but he would never show his true feelings. Instead, he would hide behind a horrible mask.

Henry got to his feet and pushed past the many toys on his floor until he reached the door of his bedroom. As he walked down the stairs, he heard Perfect Peter declare "I'm downstairs and ready for school, Dad. I've also tidied my room, dusted and vacuumed the living room and polished my shoes."

"You're such a wonderful boy. Henry, why can't you be more like Peter," his mother said when Henry came into the kitchen.

This comment made Henry's hand flinched but nobody seemed to notice. Just like Henry, Peter wasn't all as he appeared. Peter smirked smugly at Henry who sat down at the breakfast table and poured out some sweet tweets into a bowl. He was used to his parents saying things like that but each time it still stung.

"HENRY," his mother yelled. "Pull your chair closer to the table. You horrid boy."

Each time his parents criticized him he could feel himself slowly braking. His parents weren't the only ones who would pick on him though.

"You're five minutes late, detention," Miss Battle-axe screeched when Henry arrived at school in the deserted playground.

"That's not fair! You let Peter in," protested Henry, watching Peter skip down the decorated corridor through the window.

"AND NO WHINING!"

The only person who truly cared about Henry was Rude Ralph, his best friend, and the person he has had a crush on for years. Henry loved Ralph to pieces. Henry loved everything about him, his gorgeous eyes, handsome face and amazing personality. Ralph always had his back at school; especially when Margret was in one of her moods.

"Get a detention again, bogey brain. That's all you're really good for," Moody Margret cackled.

"Yeah, all you're really good for," Sour Susan sneered.

Henry turned around in his seat to where Margret and Susan were sitting. Growling with irritation, he glared them with his dark piercing eyes. But inside, his heart felt another stick piece and break him down.

"Why do you want to know? At least he's not a moody cow like you! You ok Henry?" retorted Ralph, sitting down in his own seat as the rest of the class entered the spotless classroom.

Henry sent Ralph a grateful smile which Ralph returned with a wink and thumbs up. He was the best friend anyone could ask for. Henry felt another sting in his heart when he felt the feeling that Ralph will only see him as a friend and nothing more. When Ralph winked and smiled at Henry, Henry wished Ralph would also give him a kiss, he loved Ralph too much.

"Good morning class," Miss Battle-axe said when everyone was sat down. "Right, Ashton primary has been lucky enough to get reservations at a nature park. This will be a splendid school trip where we will be able to learn how to camp for several days. You will learn all about nature and animals while getting some fresh air in the process. Parents are also welcome to come along and help if they would like. Now," she eyed Henry, "I want you all on your best behaviour so no horrid or unpleasantness."

"Yes Miss Battle-axe," the class chorused with excitement.

Through the whole time Miss Battle-axe had been talking Henry began to feel more and more dread. He would never be able to survive days on end in the wild with Moody Margret and Miss Battle-axe breathing down his neck. It would be even worse if his parents decided to tag along too. At least he wouldn't be alone; he'd have Ralph by his side. The lesson seemed to drag on forever. Henry tried to pay attention but it really just didn't interest him. He ended up just doodling in the front of his book.

"HENRY, pay attention you horrid boy," Miss Battle-axe yelled. "You're not going to get anywhere in life if you keep this up. Double detention plus the one you already have; triple detention."

Henry felt another sting but ignored it like usual.

"But Miss Battle-axe," Ralph objected. Henry looked surprised at Ralph and Ralph looked at him, he saw tears treating to fall out of Henry's eye but of course, Henry kept them inside and bottled up his feelings. With all the stress Ms. Battle-axe, his parents and all his classmates were giving Henry, he felt like he could die any second, especially with the thought that Ralph would never love him in that way.

"Quiet Ralph, or do you want a detention as well," she scolded.

The rest of the day continued in this manner. Henry would get scolded and punished harshly for really doing nothing at all and no one except Ralph would stand up for him. They would just sit there stifling their laughter in amusement, even though Ralph knew Henry wasn't happy at all, Ralph wished he could tell Henry how he really felt about him. Each harsh comment would leave Henry feeling a sting that would get more and more painful each time something cruel was said to him.

"Today was such a pleasant day," Peter sang as he and Henry walked home after school. "How was your day Henry?" Peter gave Henry a sly leer.

"I don't have to tell you anything, worm," Henry replied with a scowl.

"I'm gonna tell Mum your calling me names again," Peter stated, rushing down the empty path, through the front gate of the house, passed the flower beds and up to the front door.

"Do what you like, toad."

"MUUUUMMMMM, Henrys calling me names again," Peter whined.

"HENRY, don't be so horrid! Horrid children don't get dinner and have to go to bed early as punishment. Only good children get to stay up," his mother shouted through the door way.

Henry felt another sting. He walked past his brother, who had a triumphant smirk on his face, into the house. He trudged up to his room where he curled up on his bed and cried himself to sleep. Images and voices flashed through his mind as he cried. He would never be good enough.

Henry collapse on his bed and started quietly sobbing, thinking all about how everyone hates him, but mostly its because he wished Ralph would be there next to him, cuddling, hugging and kissing Henry to comfort. Not just give him a high five as a friend.

"R-Ralph...I wish you called me yours...I wish you were here kissing me and comforting me...I wish...you knew that I love you so much..." Henry said quietly as he sobbed himself to sleep.

MY MUFFINS! New story is out! Now, actually this story isn't completely mine, I found it on another website and it was only about Ralph and Henry's friendship. The original story, written by the original writer sparked a new inspiration for a new story, so I just followed the same story but I changed it up in some parts to make it about Ralph and Henry's love for each other. Don't worry! I got permission from the original owner to kind of copy their story, so just wanted to let you know before immature people start telling me I'm a story thief! Ok cya muffins! BYEEEE!