FIVE

VALENTINA ORTIZ

                FOR THE NEXT couple of days I haven't seen much of Mr. Ragnar if at all. He made himself scarce around his own freaking house. I was doing my job the same way I had been doing it back at home. It's like I haven't come here.

I just didn't understand why he needed to be so difficult. Why everything was so difficult! I was currently sitting on my bed in the room I was assigned with my laptop opened in front  of me. I was currently working on his schedule then I will move to his emails arranging them by priority.

There was a knock on the door. Three times. It has kind of become Maria's thing. She would knock three times on the door and it was a declaration that it was her.

She has been nice and kind throughout this whole mess. The door opened and when I looked up, I noticed that Maria looked kind of down. I wasn't sure so I didn't pry.

"Mr. Ragnar said you would be having dinner together tonight. Also, you'll need to wear what he chose.." before I could complain she added, "There's an important business meeting afterwards."

I scoffed, "He's treating me like a freaking Barbie doll."

Usually, when I say anything against Mr. Ragnar, Maria would jump on the "Mr. Ragnar is so great" speech. However today, there was none of that. It just confirmed my suspicions further.

She turned her back, leaving the room, "Hey hold up!" I called her, putting the laptop aside. "What's up?"

She turned to me with furrowed eyebrows, so I explained, "You don't look right. You don't act right. Is something bothering you?"

"Ms. Ortiz... I mean Tina, it's nothing really. I'm just slightly under the weather." She plastered the darkest smile I had ever seen on a human being then said, "If you need anything ..."

I got off the bed and walked to her, "Maria, look at us, two girls in a mansion working for a strange man who's sensitive to light!" I made a motion with my hand, "It doesn't get any weirder than that. So, let's stick together. I know that I need a friend every now and then. And right now, you look like you need one. So spill!"

Telly would always tell me that the kind of grin I gave people while trying to be supportive and cheerful was creepy and on occasions funny.

It was when Maria's lips broke into a small smile that I knew it was working. "I am not sure what to say."

I shrugged, "How about we sit on the bed, and maybe order pizza?"

She immediately stiffened, "if you're hungry..."

I interjected, "Jesus Christ! Girl, just chill. Look why don't you sit down and just say what's bothering you."

I sat down patiently. I didn't want to say anything because for some reason everything made her jumpy. I shook my head and wondered if perhaps Mr. Ragnar isn't very kind towards the maids.

She let out a long breath, "It's stupid." She paused for a second, "There's this man." I wanted to be playful and maybe joke about it, but I felt like Maria was really upset. "His name is John and he does the food deliveries around here."

That's it? I wondered when she completely just stopped. A minute had passed and we were just sitting, her eyes were on the ground and mine fixed on her pale face.

"Does his mere existence bother you this much?"

She shook her head immediately, "he is very nice." A small smile showed on her lips, "And kind. He's also very handsome." She finally looked at me and her pale blue eyes held that shine I knew all too well.

Her smile was contagious, "Well that sounds great! We don't come across many of those these days."

"I ... I just. I mean, I believe he likes me but at the same time he hasn't said anything."

"Do you want to go on a date with him?"

She nodded her eyes averted away from mine again. I shook my head, "So, ask him!"

When she met my eyes again, she looked horrified. "Noway, I cannot do that. It's ... The man should do the pursuing."

I nodded, "I'm all for that. But if you're not giving him a signal that you like him, like maybe a tiny flirt here, or a captivating look there, how would he know? So, just ask him out."

"What if he doesn't like it? Or maybe think I'm too forward?"

"Well in that case he isn't the man for you! Sweetie, we're in a time when both a man and a woman stand on equal grounds. It's always nice when a man initiates, but sometimes they need a bit of a push." I gave her a wink, "Now you go and give him that."

"You really think so, Tina?"

"I believe so. If I see someone I like I'd do the same thing." She smiled slightly and got up giving a firm nod before leaving the room. 

This conversation got me thinking though, if everyone in this mansion is kind of old-fashioned in their way of thinking or was it just Maria and Mr. Ragnar?

I shook my head, ignoring my thoughts. I had better things to do anyways, like finishing my work.

It was a few hours later and we were nearing dinner time. I took a shower, and when I got out of the bathroom I found a black dress sprawled on the bed with earrings and high heels on top.

A sigh left my lips and I dreaded the dinner I was about to have with Mr. Ragnar. I wasn't sure how his mind worked but it didn't seem to be working the right way.

Whenever I remembered the way he talked to me, I felt the blood boiling in my veins. "Keep it together, Tina. You need this job." I have been repeating these words to myself over na dover again.

I wore the dress and added a bit of make up. In all honesty, Mr. Ragnar or whoever who was buying these stuff had a great taste. I am kind of grateful but they still make me uncomfortable.

Once I was done, I heard a knock on the door and I knew it was Maria. She looked much lighter than before, "Ready?" She asked.

"What do you think?"

"You look beautiful."

I appreciated her words. I also felt beautiful, but I only wished that this feeling would go away, that I would stop hating him and myself when I wear these clothes.

"Thank you, Maria." I said and I walked out. We descended the stairs in the same manner we'd done before. She was following me like my shadow until we reached the dinning room and she helped me to my seat.

I noticed Mr. Ragnar's lingering look but neither of us said anything. The silence was just deafening, very uncomfortable and just tense.

I tried to take a bite of my food but it just wouldn't go down. It was literally stuck that I had to drink some water. That's how uncomfortable I was.

Mr. Ragnar on the other hand was as cool as a cucumber. A very hot, very sexy, and equally infuriating cucumber.

"We have a meeting today. The place is slightly unconventional but it was a special request."

Those were the first words uttered by him. I cleared my throat, "And what is that unconventional place?"

"A nightclub."

"Aha" that was all I said. If I uttered another word I knew he would figure out how much I was freaking out over this.

"Who does their business meetings in a bar? Mafia bosses, that's who." I answered my own question.

Hello beautiful people, ♥️

I know this chapter was mostly Maria and Tina talking, but believe me when I say it is important. I kind of have big plans for Maria later.

If you like this chapter please don't forget to vote and/or comment what you think.

Happy reading,
Lots of love 💕,
Alex xoxo