1

I sit at the table in the living room at the lake with my parents to eat supper for the last time this summer. I am really nervous about college, but I don't know what else to do. I sit there becoming overwhelmed at the thought of moving away. Tears start to come to the corners of my eyes and I am trying to stop them. I sniffle and burst out in tears telling my parents how scared I am. "Mom, I can't do this. I don't want to move away from home. I want to stay here. It's too scary. I don't know how to make friends." I ramble. I continue to cry. 

"Honey, you'll be fine." My dad utters. "You will be alright. You need to get out of the house sometime. I sure as heck won't let you stay here." He smiles. He rubs my shoulder in a comforting way that makes me feel a tiny bit better. I go to hug him. "You will make friends. You are a very lovable person."

"Thanks, dad. I'm just worried about leaving. I'll miss everyone so much and I will call you every day. Can I call you every day?" I ask.

"You can call us any time you want. We are still here for you. There's no reason that we wouldn't want that." My mom says. "We love you Briny. You are ready, I promise."

I look over at the rest of the cabin to take in the energy one last time before I leave. I know that everything will be okay. I just have to get there to get started. I wonder what it's going to be like. As my family starts to clean up and get everything together, I sat and thought about everything that was going on. I gathered my things and got into the car to go back into town. 

We traveled the short distance from the lake into town. Clareville is a very small town with only a few restaurants, churches, and gas stations. We turn onto the main highway that runs through town, looking at the shining lights. My mom drives slowly through the town as if for me to say goodbye. We live on the outskirts of town, so I got a really good chance to see everything. 

I help my mom bring in the things that we brought back into town because she would yell at me if I didn't. I walked into the kitchen through the garage putting my things down on the counter. I rush upstairs to my room. I hear my mom yell up the steps, "Brin, you need to put stuff away, not on the counter. You'll have to know better when you live on your own." I groan and wander down the steps. 

"You know that I have the whole morning to be as lazy as I want right?" I snickered. "I'm just trying to calm my anxiety for tomorrow. I need some downtime."

"Okay, only because you're my only baby and I love you." She states.

I decide against going to my room and instead I sit on my spot on the couch to watch The Office. I start "Threat Level Midnight" because that one always makes me laugh. I watch my show while playing solitaire on my phone. I'm trying to limit any sort of overthinking.  I watch a few more episodes before going up to bed to text my boyfriend, Blake, goodnight. 

Brin: Goodnight bubba. Wish me luck for tomorrow. 

Blake: Goodnight baby. I won't wish you luck because you'll do fine. 

Brin: Whatever you say.

I plug in my phone to charge before drifting off to sleep. 

Hello! I hope you enjoy the first chapter of my story. I hope to be updating soon!