8 - a Lukanette day.

(Luka's POV)

"L-Luka?" I'd recognise that voice anywhere. "Mari?" I say, whilst trying to control my tears. I couldn't let her see me cry. I don't want to show her that I'm not as strong as I seem... She walks closer and looks at me in the eyes. Hopefully, the pitch blackness of the night could hide my tea-

"Are you...crying?"

Damn it.

"Uh uhm...no?" Why is it so hard to lie to her. "Luka...your face. Did someone hurt you?" Oh God, I forgot to cover the bruise my dad left. She goes to place her hand on my cheek as I flinch. Her hand softly cups my cheek as I look down. "I-i..." "It's okay, Luka...I won't ever hurt you. I promise. You can tell me what's wrong..." I let out a deep sigh as I take her hand off my cheek and hold it whilst walking to the bridge. I look around for an empty bench as I sit down with her next to me.

"You know Marinette...It's amazing how every time you feel emotional pain, it doesn't hurt as a cut or a bruise would. It's just this heavy feeling. Your head spins and it's as if your tongue feels too big for your mouth.  And it's truly amazing how every time you feel that pain the only explanation you can sum up, is how you caused that pain on yourself. All that does, though, is bring on even more pain. Every ounce of you wishes you had the nerve to swing your body off the top of a building. To walk deep into the depths of the ocean and stay down under. To take a gun and place the cool metal down your throat, pulling the trigger, shooting away the pain."

"Luka...I-"

"It's fine. I don't need advice. I'll be okay..."

She sighs and looks at me. "So, what exactly caused this pain?"

"Long story or short story?"

"I'll go with long."

The only people I've ever told about my family were Asher and Belle...I promised myself I would never talk about it to anyone again. Well, I mean I also promised myself I'd stay away from love but here we are again...

"It all started a few years ago. My dad had always wanted a daughter. Ever since he got married. When he found out his first child was a boy. He got furious. Even threatened to kill me. A few years later after trying super hard, they finally had a girl. Juleka. Dad couldn't be any happier but that's when my life fell apart. You see...Juleka was always put first. My whole life it just felt like I didn't belong in my family. Growing up, it just felt like I didn't have a dad even though he was always there. He used to teach Juleka how to play the guitar as I sat back and watched...Every time I asked my dad for something he'd...he'd." I gulp and look down. My heart pounding heavily as I start to recall everything that happened. I feel Marinette's hand slowly rub my back as I feel a slight wave of comfort and I continue.

"He'd hurt me. Badly. From slapping and punching all the way to trying to burn my palms. He'd...touch me. In bad places. No matter how much I resisted, no matter how much I screamed. No one ever helped. Not even my mom. She was terrified of him. They'd fight. Every night. Each day I'd see my mom with a new bruise. It broke me. I really thought they loved each other. That they were in true love. But they proved to me that true love doesn't exist...it's stupid."

I sigh as I look at her. "Well, that's my life." She lunges herself forward and falls into my arms. Hugging me tightly. The hug was a simple enough gesture - affection. The arms that held me were soft, yet strong. The feel of her body so close to mine soothed me more than I had expected.  I didn't want to leave. It felt as if when I was in her arms all my pain went away - mental and physical, mostly the depressing pain. If I could only stay in her arms forever, safe from the world's harmful people. One could only hope.