Adilah the Hermit #1

Quantum computing, nuclear chemistry, rhetoric, chemical engineering, nano-lithography, hypnosis, laser physics, and philology.

Books, books, books, there's books everywhere. Computer screens are in this one corner and there's simulations running, there's videos of lectures, and there's the data feed from this satellite. There's TV screens everywhere I look, there's news from 5 different countries and the live feed from our cameras.

All of them want my attention, each screen wants a moment of my time, each word wants to be seen.

Everything wants to be seen, from art to textbooks to programs, except for people like me...

I like music, do you guys like music? Music is special, you can listen while you work, you can listen and do anything else. Listening to music while you build great machines or great toxins or great abominations.

You can never really admire art while you tinker, you can never really read scientific journals while you engineer, you can never really watch the classic death ray on the moon in the news while you make your own death ray.

What do normal kids do at my age? They play games I guess. Sometimes it's games outside, sometimes it's games on the computer. It's all just chasing, chasing for fun I guess. It's all so stupid because you'll only chase at nothing and feel lost.

I guess you can say the same thing to me. I build all these contraptions, learn ways to make better contraptions, then repeat. But while they watch kids shows, draw sloppy drawings with crayons, and learn how to count to 20, I build machines of war.

Well... mommy hates it when I call them machines of war... she prefers to call them "machines of justice".

 she prefers to call them "machines of justice"