Prologue

Harry

SEPTEMBER 6, 2020

"She's ready," Mary says, peeking out from behind the large wooden door that separates me and the bride-to-be. I look at her with my brows furrowed together in confusion. She groans and steps out of the room, shutting the door behind her.

"Come on, Harry, don't you wanna see her before she walks down the aisle?"

I back away from the door, worried that it isn't as sound proof as Mary thinks it is.

"I don't think that's a good idea," I stammer. "Besides, she's probably busy"

"Stop lying to me and stop lying to yourself. We both know how you feel about her and this is your last chance to talk to her before she's officially married Mrs. Caroline Roche"

"First of all, be quiet."

I grab her arm and drag her further away from the door and into a corner. 

"You might as well be standing in front of all her guests announcing my feelings for her. Second, you're sick if you think I'm ruining this day for her. Besides, even if I did feel anything for her, it's too late. Mary, it's literally her wedding day."

"Okay, I never said anything about confessing your undying love for her, you idiot. I will personally murder you if you do anything to derail a year's worth of planning. You had your chance, multiple chances actually, but you blew it."

Ouch. Thanks a lot, Mary.

"I just meant, I don't know," she continues. "Wish her luck or something. But if I were talking about confessing your feelings, you already know I've always wanted you two to end up together."

"Shut up, someone might hear you. Plus you have to say that because we're family." I roll my eyes.

"Whatever, just get in there and talk to her. Say hi or something. I don't know, okay? I just saw  this dramatic scene play out in my head the way they do it in the movies"

It's her turn to take my arm this time and she pulls me towards the room where she, and the rest of Callie's bridesmaids, had been all morning. My heartbeat quickens as Mary reaches for the bulky black handle.

What am I even going to say when I see her? This is so embarrassing. Am I fifteen years old again? I can't believe how cliché this whole thing is. God, if the floor would just give in from under me and swallow me up before this door opens.

Mary knocks lightly on the thick wood and pushes it open gently. Thanks for nothing, floor.

I peer into the room and see Hailey and Chelsea huddled in front of whom I could only assume was Callie. Chelsea reaches up and adjusts the cluster of little white flowers sitting on top of Callie's head, and takes a step back to admire her work.

My heart drops straight to my stomach and splinters into a kaleidoscope of frenzied butterflies when I see her.

All the air in my lungs seems to disappear and I'm standing there paralyzed.

"Callie!" Mary squeals.

Mary's voice draws their eyes to us. Callie steps out from behind her friends, revealing the rest of her dress. My breath catches and I open my mouth to speak but no words come out. I notice the glimmer of excitement in her eyes and I feel my chest start to constrict.

Her hair, curled in long perfect waves, cascades down her shoulders, leading my eyes to the thin straps holding up the lace and satin. The smooth white material clings so tightly to her body that my mouth goes dry just looking at her. I've never seen anything more beautiful.