Glowing (2) ~ Millionaires

(Asher's P.O.V)

"You broke the lock?!" I ask Emma in complete and utter shock. I'm not even angry - just surprised someone could break such a simple lock.

"I...well you see - heh..." she mumbles, blushing and looking to the floor.

I stare at her weirdly before inspecting the small damage. She's so adorable when she blushes.

My wolf chastises me for using the word adorable.

"It's nothing we can't fix." I tell her.

She looks relieved. "Yay?"

I laugh quietly at her. It's strange because I have not genuinely laughed for a while.

Emma stands there awkwardly so I open the door to my room. It's massive, to say the least.

A flat screen hangs on the wall, across from the king-sized bed in the middle of the room. There's not much to the room because I spend most of my time in my office.

Emma seems impressed. I feel some form of joy knowing I've pleased my mate.

Ever since she walked into my office all I've wanted to do is mark her. It's such an impulsive feeling that I don't know what to do. I'm an Alpha, my job is to run the pack, not be all mushy with a girl.

"So um..." she mumbled.

"It's almost dinnertime. I'll call you when it's ready." I tell her. I don't know what else I can say. I'm not good at this.

She nods at me and I take that as my cue to go. My wolf doesn't enjoy being so far from his mate but I'd rather get some advice before I approach her again.

***

"So I found my mate..." I began.

But I don't get to finish my sentence as my mom's excited shriek interrupts me.

"What?! When?! How?! Why didn't you tell me sooner?! Where is she?!" My mom looks excitedly over my shoulder.

"She's not here."

She frowns and pats to a seat on the couch.

"Do tell." My mom asks eagerly.

I roll my eyes. "Her name is Emma. She was found on the outskirts of our territory and claims she was just taking a walk. She's from the North Park Pack which is around five hours away. I don't know how she ended up here." I explain.

My mom glares at me. "That's it?! You finally find your mate and you can't tell me one damn thing about her! I am very disappointed with you Asher Reed!" She scolds.

I sigh. "That's why I'm here. Help me."

"Did you say anything to her, Emma?"

"I told her I didn't want her here." I whispered.

"You what?! What is wrong with you!? I am beyond disappointed in you. Go back to her and fix things!"

I groan and leave my parent's house. Mom is right.

Some people live in the pack house while others choose to build homes and live there.

A couple hundred years ago, a huge war broke out between all the supernatural and all the humans. Vampires, werewolves, and other supernaturals sided together and ultimately won, knocking out the human race. Since then, we have all lived in harmony, unlike what the humans claimed.

Of course our territories are separated. It's pretty difficult for a vampire to live with werewolves. Although we're at peace with one another, we tend to mind our own business. It's possible for other supernaturals to be mates with one another, though.

The werewolves' took the land that was once North and South America. The vampires claimed Russia and China. Other beings like pixies and faeries reside in Europe and so on.

My pack, Disasterology, is the second largest werewolf pack.

I sigh as I open the door to my room. I don't expect to see Emma sitting on the floor with my side drawer open and her looking at everything.

"What are you doing?" I growl.

She flinches back. "I - I was just -"

"Being nosy?" I glare at her.

She starts putting everything back, quickly. I see her pick up a picture of my dad and I snarl.

"S - sorry." She whispers.

"Don't touch anything you're not supposed to, understand?!"

She nods and she's shaking. Instantly I feel horrible. My wolf has gotten the best of me.

I step closer to her which causes her to panic and shrink away until her back is against the wall.

She's scared of me. I know it's my fault but I can't help getting angry - at myself.

"Stop looking at me like that!" I snap. I don't like the fear she associates with me.

Her eyes dart to the floor.

I lean in and take in her scent to calm down. I don't have the best temper but I can't explain why I'm like this today.

Emma tenses at the close interaction and my wolf is growling at me to mark her.

As much as I want to, I have to control myself. And plus, I don't have time for a mate. Not now, not ever. But now that Emma's here, I don't want her to leave.

But mates are a weakness. Anyone could get to her and hurt my pack. I can't make time for Emma with all my duties, either.

I've decided after my meeting I will tell Emma to leave.

***

Song: Millionaires

Artist: The Script

Significance: Emma breaks the lock but Asher can fix it because of money.

This took forever to write! Asher is an idiot haha cx