My Red Balloon

Is it possible that a floating object filled with helium could actually have a deeper purpose than to bring young children happiness?

This is a tale of a young girl who accidentally found a meaning tied to a balloon that would change her outlook of life forever.

Red. Shiny. Glossy.

That’s what the balloon was to dear Amanda. Nothing more than a piece of plastic that would signify one of the many gifts she would receive on her sixteen birthday. But, it did have a more special feel than did the rest of the balloons she received from her other friends for this was the opening gift given to her by Scott, her two-year boyfriend.

Not many believed in the romance story that stayed strong throughout their first years as teenagers, but that didn’t matter to them. Nothing mattered, only each other. As cheesy as it sounds that’s all they needed. They didn’t have a need for the newest phone or computer. They didn’t even have to come up with places to go out to. Their own company suited them just fine and they knew that it would remain that way forever.

Bright, happiness and carefree.

Their relationship was simple, one filled with few words but deep emotions. It was as if they were tied together. One body, one soul. They were young, yes, but not oblivious. They fought their feelings at first, they also did not believe in a romance story of two teenagers that could barely come up with a definition of “love”. And really what is love? A mental and physical emotion perhaps engrossed with yearnings of lust and satisfaction? Or maybe an enjoyment of another’s company? Whatever the case, it took one snowy day in the middle of the cold month of December to finally venture out a personalized definition of the feelings they had for each other.

Power. Spirit. Strength.

The three factors that kept them united. No matter how small an issue, it was discussed calmly. No need for yelling or insulting. They adored each other. How could one live with oneself when treating the person they cared most about with cruelty? Well, Scott and Amanda never found out. They were rational people he and she. He, being the typical model of a distressed boy trying to fit in and her being the quiet girl fighting through her insecurities to finally stand out. He was accepted in her world and she was a blinding star in his. ‘The path to the destination’ they called their first months together. The path to acceptance; the path to love.

Sunny. Windy. Perfect.

It was a beautiful day to be outside. The sun was out, the wind was blowing causing the red and yellow leaves of the trees to sway back and forth making them fall to the ground creating a bed of leaves where the children would play filling the day with the sound of laughter and a sense of playfulness.

Amanda, receiving a message from her dear lover agreed to meet him by the nearest park so they could celebrate her coming of age together, alone before going to revel with their other friends in the venue they designed to host her birthday party.

She had awakened early that morning to find a single, red balloon tied to her bed with a simple note that read:

Meet me by the nearest park under the huge oak tree where we first met, bring the balloon with you, more surprises are to come. I love you. Happy birthday, beautiful.