Inbetween 1

Harmattan. It was my favorite time of the year. The cold and the dry wind circled around me. It was best at night, when  I hid under the duvet, enjoying the little warmth it could offer. I could sleep peacefully; no insomnia or thoughts that loved to revitalize in the darkness of the night.

I stood at the balcony outside my shop to see the road. It was busy, not as busy as it used to be. Most people were not back from the Christmas voyage but those huge trucks that spoil the road still caused traffic.

The breeze swished past, making the litters on the balcony  rise in the air and move to a different point on the dusty floor.

I happened to be the only one in the whole building of about ten shops. My neighbors always resumed the second week of January. The permanent honking of cars and movement made the building to be far from quiet.

I hugged myself in the thick hoodie I wore and went in to lie on a cushion in the little cubicle I called my office. It had a desk and leather seat facing the door. Behind the desk was my sewing machine and a stool which were just in front of the window.

The outer room was my shop where I hung clothes I made for display. There was Ankara, satin and chiffon of different grades.

I heard a noise. It sounded like someone talking. I ignored it because it sounded masculine and it could have just been my mind playing with me because I hardly had male customers. It was just one time, a man came to purchase clothes for his wife. Aku, my sales girl was yet to return from her Christmas break and her voice definitely was not masculine.

"Somebody here? " the voice asked, it was closer and clearer.

I still lay on the cushion in my office without replying. I was in no mood to get up and if I did reply, all I wanted to voice was, "nobody is here."

"Is somebody here? "

It came again, a strong baritone. This time it came with a soft rap on the door outside . Realization hit me then. It could have been a store thief checking to see if the coast was clear. I was the only one in the whole building. Suddenly alarmed, I flung my feet off the cushion.

I checked for something, anything, a weapon even if it's a scissors but I had not unpacked.  My scissors together with other sewing  materials were inside a small 'Ghana must go bag' I packed them before leaving for Christmas.

I ran out without finding any weapons but Surprisingly, there was nobody in the store. There was a man on the balcony, he was walking down the other locked shops. I immediately called out to him and he turned with his hands in his pocket. His face did not look familiar so I waved him off.

" Sorry !" I shouted, "I thought you checked here."

"Yes, I did," was his reply and he began walking towards me. I put my hands underneath my hoodie and waited.

I was not sure of the time so I waited for him to greet first. The weather messed with me, made me feel it was morning  even at noon.

"Hello, good afternoon, " he said standing at the railing opposite my door.

"Good day, " I replied, leaning on the door frame with arms folded underneath my bosom.

"I just moved in downstairs so I was going around, getting acquainted with the empty building ."

" You are welcome and you're right, " I replied with a smile. "People are yet to resume for the year ."

He nodded then crossed his legs at the ankle. He turned his head to look down to the busy road.

"Standing at this place and looking at all these cars on the road is wonderful, " he said.

I nodded in agreement, not knowing how to further the conversation. I was also tired of standing. I needed to go back to my sleep.