Afterword

And then the carriage crashed and burned and everyone DIED!

No, no, no.  Sorry, I just can’t drop a cliffhanger after I already put up the last chapter now can I? ;) 

I’m kind of surprised at the reaction I got for Chapter 9! I knew killing Kaito would be a great cliffhanger leading into the ending, I just didn’t think it was the most evil thing I’d done to him.  Granting him his happiness and everything he ever wanted, then stealing it from him moments later felt worse to me.  Regardless, I’m glad that as this story ran, I got you guys so engaged with his story.  And after all those miseries heaped upon miseries… our Beast finally has his happy ending with his Beauty.

Pretty much from the beginning of planning this, I knew the fairy would need to have a change of heart. But it would still have to tie back into the true love of the protagonists. I didn't see any way for Luka to get to that point without her destroying Kaito and suffering the inevitable consequence of what she'd done. It couldn't be as simple as Miku saying “I love Kaito” and Luka going “Aw, shucks, okay.”  I wanted her to still have a lasting punishment for what she'd done… But also the opportunity for a second chance. I like to think she found a happiness of her own somehow.

And if you guys were wondering if I forgot Gumi exists… nope.  I saved her for last.  Now she can torment Gakupo for the rest of his life!  Wait, maybe he didn’t get a happy ending…

I just want to thank everyone who followed this story for so long.  I only hope this ending was worth the wait.  You’ve all been worth writing for.  I’m happy to give you the resolution to this journey, though I am more than a little sad to leave these characters behind.  Sure there will always be more Vocaloid stories, but they won’t be the exact same people and settings, so it really is goodbye in a sense.

Expect me to write a new Vocaloid story soon, though – I can’t leave Kaito alone for too long ;)  Follow me right here on Wattpad, or over at DeviantArt, Fanfiction.net (as Kai-P), or on Tumblr so you don’t miss my next story!  There’s some teaser summaries on my Fanfiction.net profile as well as in my journals on DeviantArt, so if you’re curious what I intend to drop next, there you go.

http://rebochan.deviantart.com/journal/Fanfic-Stuff-500747146

UPDATE: I forgot the final song credit for Chapter 10!  Kaito was serenading the garden with Crescent Moon.