species

GREEN IGUANA

The Green Iguana is sometimes simply referred to as the Common Iguana or just Iguana. Unlike many of their reptilian cousins, these lizards prefer to eat greens, fruits, forbs, and flowers instead of insects and other animals' flesh. A large lizard, Green Iguanas may grow to almost 6 feet in length from head to tail.

HARPY EAGLE

These beautiful raptors live across much of Central America in addition to the Amazonian jungles. Despite being skilled hunters and apex predators, they face significant threats from human activities, especially those related to habitat loss as large swaths of the Amazon Rainforest are cleared for land development. Sexually dimorphic and weighing up to 20 pounds, female Harpy Eagles may be twice as large as their male companions.

ANACONDA

The world's largest, heaviest, and most powerful snake may also be its most famed. The Anaconda can grow as long as 30 feet and weigh up to 550 pounds! They constantly grow throughout their entire lifetime, eating about 40 pounds of prey every day as small meals. Larger meals that they swallow whole can satisfy them for a few weeks. A female anaconda is typically larger and gives birth to live young which count 20 to 40 little anacondas that are each 2 feet long!

KINKAJOU

The kinkajou, a relative of the raccoon, has a furry golden skin and a tail designed to grip branches. More commonly known as bear-monkey, honey bear or lion monkey, the Kinkajou is rarely seen because it is a nocturnal creature who clings on the top of trees. They use their 5-inch long tongues to pick ripe hanging fruits. They love to drink the nectar of flowers and have a diet consisting of 90 percent fruits. Even still, they are considered carnivores. They are sometimes kept as pets although they can carry the roundworm parasite.

MACAW

Native to the jungles of South America, Macaws are social birds usually seen traveling in flocks in sizes of 10 to 30. They are loyal to their lifelong mates. They are beautifully colored birds that hold a vibrant plumage. Their beaks are quite powerful and can effortlessly crack nuts and seeds, while their scaly tongues are dry and contains bone, which is mostly used for tapping into fruits. Some macaws can even mimic human speech!

JAGUAR

Thought to be the real king of the jungle, the jaguar is the largest cat in the Americas, though it ranks third in the entire world, behind only the lion and tiger. Their spots, which highly resemble roses, render them distinctive from other big cats, A jaguar has the strongest bite force of all of these predatory felines, with its incredibly powerful jaws incomparable to those of any other cat. With this bite, the jaguar possesses the capability of piercing a skull and breaking open a sea turtle's shell. This animal is a solitary killer, and will typically scale and climb trees to use as a vantage point when hunting prey prior to pouncing upon their targets.

BUSH DOG

Adult bush dogs have soft long brownish-tan fur, with a lighter reddish tinge on the head, neck and back and a bushy tail, while the underside is dark, sometimes with a lighter throat patch. Younger individuals, however, have black fur over their entire bodies.

CORAL SNAKE

An extremely venomous snake that feeds on small rodents. It uses its powerful bite to defend itself against would-be predators.

HUMMINGBIRDS

Hummingbirds are birds native to the Americas and constituting the Trochilidae. They are the smallest of birds, most species measuring 7.5–13 cm (3–5 in) in length. They enjoy drinking the nectar of flowers and play a large part in pollination.

MARGAY

The margay is very similar to the ocelot but larger in appearance, although the head is a little shorter, the eyes larger, and the tail and legs longer. It weighs from 2.6 to 4 kg (5.7 to 8.8 lb), with a body length of 48 to 79 cm (19 to 31 in), and a tail length of 33 to 51 cm (13 to 20 in).

OCELOT

The ocelot is a small wildcat native to the Americas. This medium-sized cat is characterized by solid black spots and streaks on its coat, round ears, and white neck and undersides.

PUMA

Pumas are large, secretive cats. They are also commonly known as cougars and mountain lions, and are able to reach larger sizes than some other "big" cat individuals. Despite their large size, they are thought to be more closely related to smaller feline species. The seven subspecies of pumas all have similar characteristics, but tend to vary in color and size. Pumas are thought to be one of the most adaptable of felines on the American continents, because they are found in a variety of different habitats, unlike other various cat species.

PARAKEET

Parakeets comprise about 115 species of birds that are seed-eating parrots of small size, slender build, and long, tapering tails.

TOUCAN

The toco toucan, also known as the common toucan or giant toucan, is the largest and probably the best known in the family. It is found in semi-open habitats throughout a large part of central and eastern South America. It is a common attraction in zoos. 

SCORPION

Scorpions are predatory arachnids of the order Scorpiones. They have eight legs and are easily recognized by the pair of grasping pedipalps and the narrow, segmented tail, often carried in a characteristic forward curve over the back, ending with a venomous stinger.