Chapter One

I braced myself for another shitty day at school. I was only in 9th grade, but I had learned every cuss word in the book. A fresh bruise marred my skin, just below my shoulder. I wore long sleeves that day, specifically so the bruise wouldn't show. It still hurt, though. I had a few yellowing bruises along my legs, but I didn't bother hiding those. I slipped on my backpack and stepped out my front door. It was a rainy day, much to my dismay. 
     Just my luck. I thought to myself. I threw the hood of my sweater over my long, brown hair and stepped into the downpour. Right now, I ,was absolutely hating life. At least Silver will be there. Silver was always the person to cheer me up when I was sad, even though most of the time she was doing it unknowingly.
     I never understood why Silver wanted to be my friend so much. At first she thought it was just because Silver was friends with everyone, but then she started hanging out with me one-on-one. By now, I was soaking wet, and almost the the hell they called school. I stepped into the grey building, my teeth gritted. I knew I was about to get a lecture from Ms. Johnson about being late. Again.
     All I had to do was hold out until 4th period. From then until the end of the day, all of my classes were with Silver. I smiled at the thought.
     Just as I expected, I got a lecture about being late and "not being respectful of the class by making me wait." And other BS like that. After a half hour of learning useless shit I was never gonna use, I started counting the minutes until she would see Silver. Three hours turned to two, and then to one. Slowly but surely, I would be able to breathe again, knowing that Silver was okay.
     Well, I knew she was fine. But was she? The minutes passed slowly and unbearably, each one bringing me a little bit closer to Silver. After a while, I began to remember how they first met. I let myself drift blissfully into the memory.
     We. were only in 6th grade, and Silver and her family had just moved to the city from Conneticut. Needed a change of pace, they had said. Even though it was years ago, I still remembered the dress Silver wore. It was pink and frilly, probably made of some expensive fabric.
     It was a chilly, cold september day, the first of the school year. Back then, the teachers were actually pretty nice, and not salty like they are now. Silver was in my first period class. Back then I just thought she was another rich kid who though she was better than everyone else, but I was, of course, dead wrong. She stepped into the classroom, cheeks as rosy as her dress, and the teacher introduced her to the class, as teachers do. To my surprise, her locks were shiny, curly, and...silver? Probably why she was named that, dumbass, I had though to myself. She was very pretty, a small nose, large bright blue eyes, and full lips. They were pulled up in a smile.
    "Class, this is Silver. She is new, so please treat her with respect." The teacher said in a stern but cheery voice. Silver spoke in a high, tinkly voice. "H-hi. Its very nice to meet you all. I hope I get to know you while I'm here." She blushed even harder and skittered to the seat next to mine.
     The class went on as normal, and to no ones surprise, Silver exelled at her studies. She would always smile cheerily at me, but I would never return it, frustrating her. She tried flattery, but that wouldn't work on me in a million years.
     Silver started gaining friends fast. I didn't know why, but I loathed the fact that she was a part of the lives of people other than me. Even still, I fought the instint to become part of her ever-growing friend group. One day, she seemed sadder then usual. She sighed and slipped daintily into her seat. She glanced at me, and quickly looked away. Her gaze turned steely, but she looked at me with sad eyes.
     "Why don't you want to be my friend?" She whimpered. Her sadness hurt me, and I gave in.
     "Well, why would you want me as your friend?" Her blue eyes widened.
     "Well, you seem pretty awesome." She stated matter-of-factly. I gave her a small smile.
     "Thanks. We can be friends, if you care that much." I grumbled. She flashed her pearly white teeth at me.
    I shook myself out of the memory. Third period was almost over and my exitment grew. The bell rang and I rushed down the stairs, to where my savior waited for me.