Chapter 1

The Doodlesphere was a vast and mysterious dimension.

All gentle warmth and bright amber colors, it reflected upon its purpose beautifully.
As the birthplace of worlds, it was likely older than anything else in the infinite multiverse, yet it maintained its charm and life. Outside the reach of regular time and space, it had stayed the same for eons, except for where it had expanded its collection of priceless treasures over the years.

As the centerpiece of the Multiverse, the Doodlesphere linked together all universes in existence, whether known or unknown, old or new.
There were none that could not be accessed from here.
Before the deep and endless backdrop, pages upon pages of paper floated. These were the gateways representing the Alternate Universes.
Since neither ground nor sky existed in the Doodlesphere, the pages spread into every direction, so far that their silhouettes could be seen disappearing in the distance.

Each and every single one of these pages was a tightly woven piece of dimensional magic that connected to the very core of one AU each. The deceivingly simple forms reflected on their AU's state and nature, giving every paper a unique design, picture, or color, or even showing how damaged it was in the form of rips and burns and crinkled edges.

The gateways didn't have to be pages, of course.
They could be islands or paint buckets or even doors, yet oddly enough, the Doodlesphere preferred this setting.
One could grasp the lives of millions in one hand, just by holding the very being of a world world, folded down into one unassuming white square. Few would realize this unless told of the significance.

Most, if they ever were given the honor to visit, would instead pay attention to the ambient magic, heavy and thick like humid air.
It tasted of possibilities and change, and laid like a silent charge in the air, humming just underneath the peaceful atmosphere.

Suddenly, a faint tinkling sounded through the hanging forest, disturbing the silence.
Pages gently swayed as if dancing to the harmony. Something was... changing. Someone was here.

Only, it wasn't Ink.

Ink was the sole creator of this multiverse, and his magic connected to the sphere on an intrinsic level. It was his seat of power.
Yet, the main occupant and guardian was all too often away on duty. He liked to bring worlds into existence in person and to protect those already there.
A bit tragic, perhaps, for a place this vibrant to have no one around to appreciate it more, but it was practically unpenetrable. Never had its location been compromised, so Ink felt safe leaving it.

Today, however, there was a guest. An uninvited guest. Floating in place, head laid back to peer up into the tangle of pages, a black-boned skeleton had intruded upon the peace.
He was not a mortal and his presence was immensely at odds with the surroundings. A jagged thorned weed among a field of flowers, a nagging discrepancy throwing off the picture of serenity. Not only visually, though his dark figure certainly contrasted starkly against the bright color scheme.
No, there was a faint taste of violence and decay that followed him, which set the surrounding magic to churn in alarm. The skeleton felt like the ending to the beginning, death following life, the abrupt nothingness where there once was light and matter.

The god of destruction had found his way into the seat of creation itself.

And yet.
He did none of the things expected of him, the foe that had outplayed his enemy. No victory laugh, no triumphant cheering or taunting, not even a grin. No destruction.

The god simply gazed upon the countless worlds that would have been so easy to rip apart with a twitch of his fingers and strings, and he remained still. His expression betrayed nothing, locked in a thoughtful frown.
He hummed, a deep, shifting sound barely recognizable as such, and lifted a hand to one of the pages.
The ordinary gesture belied the total and violent annihilation it could bring, but the god did nothing more than lightly caress the gateway, setting it to gently sway like a leaf caught in the wind.

A ghost of a smile lifted the god's mouth, and one could have perhaps called it 'happy'. Such an unfitting expression, considering the bright dimension he was in that was anathema to everything he stood for.

"...Soon," he said, and the promise sank like a stone in a river into the very being of the Doodlesphere, causing a slight ripple, as if the multiverse shuddered in anticipation of what was to come.

Turning away, like that was the only thing he'd come here to do, the skeleton opened a portal through which the empty whiteness of his own realm could be glimpsed. He stepped through, relieving the sphere of his dark presence. Leaving it unchanged, like he'd never been there at all.

That is, if it weren't for the multi-colored eyelights that had observed the god's exit, and the paint-soaked brush that slipped through shock-stilled fingers. The item fell slowly, flinging crimson ink everywhere and painting the scene, perhaps more appropriately, to look like the site of a violent murder.

All red.

"Oh no," Ink whispered.

The event of his greatest fear had come true.

Error had found the Doodlesphere.

____-xX°>•<°Xx-____

Error belongs to LoverOfPiggies,
Ink to Myebi.

With that out of the way, I hope you like this first chapter/prologue! More is soon to come, and I can't wait to slowly uncover all the events and secrets...