|Chapter One|

Salem's p.o.v.

"Salem, go to the basement! I don't know why you insist on practicing that witchcraft around me when I've told you multiple times that I don't like it! Go downstairs or put it away."

"Mom," I protested.
"Why can't you just support my religion?"
"Just go, Salem."
"Fine, I'll leave you alone to do your drugs in peace."
"Salem-"

I promptly flipped her off while storming away, swinging the basement door open so hard it hit the wall with a bang, startling even myself.

A spirit slithered around my legs like a harmless snake, purring with joy at my arrival. I smiled warmly at it before making my way to the center of the basement, where I had my altar set up.
I picked up my new Demonology and Witchcraft book, sitting down on the floor after lighting a few candles and putting them in a circle around myself.

My Grams had gotten this book for me. She told me that my family mostly consisted of witches, so many of them in the occult that it traced back to 1639. She told me that my mother had betrayed The Church of Night, and they had excommunicated her for choosing the False God instead of Lucifer.

She's taking her excommunication out on me, I presume, but probably only because she's envious of my success.

I flipped open the book and flipped through the pages, until something caught my eye.

A large deer antler was sketched dryly across the page, and the next few pages were in my Gram's handwriting.
I began reading with interest, despite the warning she had put atop the page, saying that this spell was not something to take lightly and was very dangerous.

I read deeper into her notes, and my eyes widened as I realized it was steps and facts on how to summon a demon. A very powerful one, at that.

"Alastor," I whispered out loud when I read the name of the being.

The air suddenly dropped cold, and it felt like it was absolutely freezing. I shivered, sighing, and my breath made the air white. I began to feel drawn, wanting to meet this demon. It was almost like my soul was yearning for him, stretching and reaching to wherever he was residing now.

I couldn't resist anymore.

I got up, moving to my altar and picking up a thin silver blade, and slicing my palm open.

I began to recite the chant written in the book loudly, using a clear and commanding voice.

"Magic forces, black and white; reaching out through space and light.
Be he far, or be he near, bring me the demon Alastor here!
A blood sacrifice has been demanded, one of which will soon be granted.
Alastor, demon of pain, blasphemy, cannibalism, greed and torture. I summon thee, oh mighty one, now please come to my call!"

The air began whipping around me, almost as fast as a tornado and coming close to whisking me off of my feet. My familiar spirit hid behind me in fear as the candles I had lit all blew out simontaneously.

Another moment of nothing but freezing air passed, and then the candles relit, their light revealing that I was no longer alone.

A demon stood in the middle of the pentagram I had made, and stared at me with a curious light in his eyes.

"What is it you wish for, my dear?"

Something in me fluttered with a similar feeling as to that of strong attachment, but that made no sense, and I shrugged it off, focusing on the matter at hand.

I couldn't stop staring at him, though. His gaze was somehow captivating and frightening at the same time, and I never wanted to look away.

"Are you just going to stare, or is there something you want?"

I don't know where my next words were bred from, but something deep inside of me that I didn't know existed, spoke before I could truly consider the meaning of what I was about to say.

"May I be your companion?" I asked, my voice much clearer than one would expect when face to face with a powerful being.

He tilted his head and adjusted his monocle with a confused expression, obviously baffled by my request.

"Did... Did I hear you correctly?"

"Yes," I said, unsure if I'd heard myself correctly as well.

"Why do you wish for that?"

"I... I don't know," I said, baffled.

He stepped forward, and stretched out his hand to me.

I didn't know why he was accepting, but whatever his reasons may have been, he was ready to make the deal.

"What's my toll?" I asked, half jokingly.

"... Your soul, of course," he said, his smile widening.

I reached out and placed my hand in his, and I felt like I was truly home when our skin made contact.

"Do we have a deal, then?" He asked, looking directly into my eyes.

My heart skipped two beats.

"Yes."

He reached up,placing his fingers on my chin. Then with a quick flick of his wrist, he snapped my neck. I felt my heartbeat slow down, agonizingly so.

The last thing I saw before I died were his dark red eyes, which seemed like he already knew my soul like the back of his hand.

a_fluff_ball