Chapter 4: The Backseat

It was around noon the next day when I walked back to my desk after I got the file about the Cullson case from the M.E. I was getting ready to go over the file with Jones when I saw he wasn't at his desk. I looked around the office to see if I could find him only to find out that he was no where to be seen.

I walked over to Detective Sanchez and Detective Richmond's desks. Richmond was throwing pencils into a cup on the far side of his desk and Sanchez was on his computer.

"Hey, where's Jones?" I asked them when I got close enough.

"It's noon, he's at lunch," Sanchez said without looking at me.

"I just got the M.E report for our case, I was hoping to go over it," I said as I lifted the file to show them.

"You can try catching up to him," Richmond said as he tossed another pencil, missing the cup. "He usually goes to the sandwich shop down the street."

"I wouldn't," Sanchez warned. "Lunchtime he's off the clock. He doesn't do work when he's eating."

"Well now he has me," I said. I started to make my way to the door, calling back to them. "Thanks guys."

"No problem, beautiful!" Sanchez called out to me.

I ran out the front door of the station. To my left were more restaurants and stores, so my best chance was to head that way. I wanted to catch up to Jones. Maybe we could have lunch together, to get to know each other. And also to talk about the case.

But before I could even leave the station's property, someone grabbed my arm. I turned to see a taller, muscular, handsome Asian man with large doe eyes. He wasn't looking at me, instead he was looking towards the street.

"Who are you?" I asked. As I spoke I tried to pull my arm from his grip, but his grip was too strong.

He didn't say anything to me, only pulled me towards a brand new black jaguar sitting on the curb. He opened the door to the backseat and shoved me inside. He slammed the door behind me.

"What the hell?" I yelled moving to open the door. But the man stood in front of the door.

"Hello to you too, Little Detective," the voice of NJ said.

I looked next to me to see the most handsome man I've ever seen. He had slender, sharp mono-lid eyes. His face was round with sharp features. He had cute dimples that didn't match the cocky smirk on his face. And his lips, oh heaven, those lips were full and luscious and looked so soft. He wore a black fitted suit with a black silk shirt underneath the jacket. His dyed blonde hair was styled like he didn't care, but he clearly did.

"NJ," I whispered. My heart beat sped up in a way I didn't recognize. It wasn't adrenaline, like how it was when I was shoved in here. It was something completely different, and I didn't know if I wanted to know what it was.

I couldn't believe that the leader of the mafia was actually this young and good-looking. And he wasn't even looking at me. Instead, he was staring out the window at the cars passing by on the street. He handed me a file, not bothering to look at me.

"That's what I found," NJ said. "He's a member of the gang Zhanshi. He's their go-to assassin, named Zihao."

"You have business with them?" I asked.

"More like they have business with me," NJ said. "One of the many businesses I own is real estate. I buy warehouses and buildings and sell them. And sometimes, gangs drive a hard bargain. And what they do in the places I sell them, I don't know."

"Whatever you say," I muttered with a roll of my eyes. I began looking into the file. "Does this Zihao have any places he frequents? Anyplace we can find him so we can question him?"