Chapter Three

I woke up for school the next day only to find that It was closed. One of the great luxuries of living in Maine in the winter, there is always a butt load of snow and a huge percentage of getting out of school. I was sitting in my bed debating whether to not to go back to sleep when my mom came in my room.

"Good morning honey." She sang, way too cheerful for my lack of alertness.

"Good morning mom" I grumbled back.

"Okay, I thought that since schools closed for the day and your father is in town we could all spend the day together. We could go shopping then go for a late lunch. What do you think?"

I looked at my mother to find that she was absolutely beaming. Her pale face and stunning brown eyes were glowing, her auburn hair that was cut in a short and elegant looking bob was perfectly sleek, and her entire persona was just that of the happiest woman in the world. I didn't want to let her down, she's not always this happy, and even if her cause of happiness is from the one man I cannot stand, I don't want to be the one to ruin her day. So I reluctantly agree and put on a happy face. She said to get ready and be downstairs for breakfast by ten. I had an hour, great, better get moving then.

I got out of bed and went to the bathroom to brush my teeth and take a shower. I admit I took my time even though I knew I should be in a rush, but the warm water was taking the edge of my nerves and helped me to relax. After I got out and had my towels wrapped solidly around me, I went back to my bedroom to get dressed and dry my hair. I picked out a pair of skinny jeans, a band tee, and a thermal to go over it, then of course my favorite combat boots since it was below freezing out. When I went to sit at my vanity to dry my hair I looked in the mirror and seen the necklace. I'd forgotten about it last night and this morning for that matter. I looked at it for several seconds then took it off deciding I wasn't going to play along with someone's sick joke.

"Willia! Come on, Hurry up!"

"Just have to dry my hair mom! Give me ten minutes."

"Fine!"

I quickly dried my hair and put it in a messy bun, I didn't have time to fool with it right now. It always takes me forever to style my hair because its so long and thick. I have no idea where I get it from, certainly not from my mothers side of the family they're all blondes and gingers and from what my mother told me about my father’s side they're all blondes, none of them have solid black hair like me, Go figure.

"Willia! My mother screamed, "Come on!"

"Coming!" I called back grabbing my purse, cell, and makeup bag on the way out the door.

When I got outside to the car my father was standing there, all six feet seven of him waiting on me to come out to give me a hug. I just walked right past him and climbed into the back seat ignoring the look of pure hurt on his face and not caring at all. Why should I try to make him feel better and act like I've missed him when really all he's done is screw my life up? I owe nothing to this man and I intend to give him exactly what he deserves. After my parents climbed in the car we were off on our merry little way and I instantly regretted not grabbing my iPod on the way out. My father was flirting with my mom the whole time making her giggle like a little school girl, and at every stop sign and red light my father would bombard me with unwelcome questions and pathetic excuses of why he hasn't been around.

"How's school been?"

"Sorry I missed your birthday sweetheart, I couldn't get off work."

"What grade are you in now?"

"Oh I meant to come, I just lost the invitation."

"How are your grades?"

On and on and on he went all day long. Never stopping to catch a breath. It amazes me how much he reminds me of a con artist, although it shouldn't surprise me. I never thought he'd shut up until I got an unexpected phone call in the middle of our "late lunch".