CHAPTER 5.

Z’s POV

After raiding the closest convenience store, I pulled into my driveway just after midnight. I spent the rest of the evening at home, watching NBA finals, eating snickers and Reese’s pieces, thinking that living off the grid didn’t sound like such a bad idea right about then. I still couldn’t believe I saw her. My sunshine. My Jet. When our eyes met, I swear my heart did a backflip and my pulse quickened to life-threatening speeds. She looked gorgeous with her long, dark brown hair flowing in loose waves at her shoulders. Her brown almond-shaped eyes sparkled back at me. I was at a loss for words, but all I wanted to do was run after her. I was supposed to leave right there and then but I had second thoughts. I chose to go backstage but a crowd of fans had already tracked her down and she had to do what she always does. She shook hands, posed for pictures, signed autographs. So I left her with the adoring fans, whom I surely know, missed her. Because I do. Just like I do.

JET’s POV

When I got backstage, the fans were already crowding the room. I had no choice but give in to their requests. It wasn’t new at all but it had been a year since I have done this. Only this time, I wantd to run outside and look for Zandro. When they cleared out, it was already late. He was nowhere to b found. He must have already left. It’s not that I expected for him to wait for me, I’m sure he wouldn’t wait for me., given the circumstance of our break up.

Trish and Quin with Migs and Gemma were still at the table they shared with Zandro earlier. They stayed to watch the rest of the performers, knowing that I would come by to say hello. Trish and Quin have been my only friends since I decided to shun the limelight. While Migs and Gemma, since high school. I was happy to see them, I thought of cutting our greetings short since I had to talk to Quin in private, alone. I have to know why was Zandro sitting with them. My old connections kept me updated from time to time, specially with Zandro, still there are so many things I didn’t know on his current whereabouts. And Quin never mentioned him, even if they had been friends for over a year now. Also, Gemma didn’t told me a word. She probably held some guy code because she’s engaged to Zandro’s bestfriend, Migs.

Looking at Migs and Gemma, I felt envious. I remember, Zandro and I could have gotten hitched right after high school. Not for lack of trying on my part. Zandro has asked me to marry him at least once a week from the time we got together till the time we split after. I always thought he was joking but Gemma confided that he was dead serious every time he would ask  me. She even told me how Zandro always tell them, “I love that gil with all my heart. I still do. I would have married her that second if she would’ve had me.”

But again, thinking about the past is futile. What happened then belonged to the past. And it should stay there. It’s no sense talking about it now.