Chapter Four

authors note; the chapters really short, but I didn't know what to write. it's not the best, but I hope you enjoy. hopefully chapter five will be longer :)

Four

       When I wake up the sun is still up. I don't remember what time we fell asleep, but I felt pretty well rested. I do however, remember that we didn't sleep till at least 7 in the morning. His parents must've seen us by now.

        Harrison isn't where he was before. I told myself he was probably in the bathroom, and hopefully he didn't puke.

        I woke Derrick up as kindly as I could. He was always grumpy in the mornings. It was worse when he had been drinking the night before. When I saw him start to wake up, I walked away instead of badgering him.

        Harrison appeared from around the corner. His hair was ruffled, and his eyes were dark. He held his head in one hand, and with the other, gripped his stomach. "I got to stop drinking," he muttered. "I haven't felt this sick in awhile."

        I patted his shoulder. "With time you will feel better my friend. I'm afraid I have to get home, I don't want my parents to be too angry with me." After leaving so suddenly yesterday, and not telling them where I was going, I knew they were going to be pissed that I didn't come home last night.

        "Same."

        "Where have you been? And who gave you those hickeys?" my parents yelled as I walked through the door. I couldn't imagine they're reaction if I told them the truth. That I was at a party, and I didn't know who the hickeys came from.

        "Out," I muttered, going upstairs to my room.

        They had every right to worry, I was their daughter. I just wished they would trust me. My grades were good, and I stayed out of trouble, most of the time. Maybe at the age of sixteen, I shouldn't be staying out all night, but I was living for the fun.

        I laid in my bed. My body was tired, and my head was pounding, but I tried to ignore the pain. I needed to do my homework. Tomorrow was Monday, another shitty day of school, and people I couldn't ever give a fuck about.

        "Echo," my mom said, opening my bedroom door and walking in. She looked at me for a second, before coming and sitting on the edge of my bed. "We don't mean to stress you out, we just worry about you, okay? All we've ever wanted is the best for you."

        I look up at her. "I know mom, I know."

        She shakes her head, and smiles at me. It's a sad, disappointed smile. I wasn't the daughter they had wished for.

        She didn't say anything else, just left.

        It's 5 a.m. and my breath is stuck in the cold morning air. Derrick, Harrison, and I stand in the tennis courts, passing around a joint. School doesn't start for another hour, but we've been ready to go for a while.

        I dreaded the minute I was going to have to walk through that door, and see the faces of the people I despised. When you hated everyone as much as we did, school was probably the worst place you could ever go. It was literally hell.

        "We could always skip," Harrison said after taking his hit, and handing the joint to Derrick. "I mean, who's gonna be there anyways, it's Monday."

        "Harrison, we can't afford to miss anymore school." Derrick hands the joint to me after he hits it. I inhale, feeling the smoke fill my lungs, as a sense of freedom rises inside me."But thanks for the idea," Derrick adds.

        Soon, we have smoked the joint down to the filter. We stand there for a while, watching the colors explode in the sky, as the sun rises over the mossy green trees. It's a totally different experience under the influence.

        When school starts, I pop in my ear buds, and plan to ignore people for most of the day. Reality was my nightmares.