What's Your Favorite Subject In School?

Alex S. Oct/24

I groaned when I heard the obnoxious melody that Sammy had input as my alarm. I didn't want to get up but I already pressed snooze 3 times this morning so that meant I had to drag myself out of bed to get ready.

But I still didn't want to.

I tried to snuggle back into my comforter but was rudely awakened a second later by my light switching on and off rapidly.

"Alexander, Wake up!" I heard Tyler call from across my room, amusement lacing his voice. I responded with a harsh grumble and threw my blankets over my head.

"Alex, if you don't wake up I'll get Vic in here," He yelled as I incoherently mumbled again, I smiled when I heard Ty's footsteps retreat from my room.

"Vic Vic! Get the acrylic paint!" Tyler screamed across the house, I jumped up and ran to my dresser while yelling at both of them.

"I'm up! I'm up! I don't wanna buy new bed sheets! Don't get the paint!" I took out my school uniform, noticing that all of my school clothes were freshly clean, including my new sweater.

I was putting on my tie when I glanced at the clock on my wall to see it's 7:20. I frantically finished tying my tie, almost choking myself in the process, and grabbed my school sweater, thankfully remembering how cold it gets in October. I combed my hands through my hair as I ran downstairs, attempting to tame the fluffy mane of dark hair on my head.

"Hello, Alex, we have eggs and grits for breakfast this morning," Caroline happily greeted me as I skid into the kitchen.

"Good morning, Caroline. Oh and thanks for cleaning my uniform," She just smiles at me again before resuming what she was doing before.

Caroline is our live-in caregiver, she feeds us, cleans the house, talks to us, and is really just a nice person to be around. She's lived with us for just under a year and is kinda like our grandmother, especially for Oli. We all love her and you can tell she loves all of us just as much.

"No problem, the little ones are in the dining room," I flash her another grin before walking away but Caroline stops me before I could walk through the door.

"Your parents had to leave to work at the main headquarters, there was an 'emergency with the updating software for messaging' and they needed to be at as soon as possible," I sigh and nod in understanding.

That's why it's so quiet this morning.

"Thank you, Caroline," I walk into the grand dining room to see my five siblings around the table. The only noises coming out of the area are the clattering of silverware against china and the occasional sip from a glass.

They all look glum, we were supposed to spend all weekend with our parents starting today, but of course, work decided otherwise.

We don't blame them but it's just hard when they're at the beck and call of their precious little company and would drop everything to go to their main building in Pennsylvania at a little software malfunction.

Jacob was scraping eggs across his plate, only seeming to have touched half of them, losing his appetite at the news. He only ever gets this way when mom and dad don't keep a promise, which hasn't happened in a couple of months but looks like we're going back into a relapse of judgment about what they say.

Vicky had little paint splotches dotted across her face, not an unusual sight for her but what was odd was the look of anger. She never got mad, just sad, but even with that it was a rare occurrence that she was anything but bubbly, but then I remembered.