Dhampir (On Hold)

I saw the look his eyes, they were full of hate, like I’d never seen before.

He slapped with me with every ounce of strength he had in his body, piercing the skin and opening a thin cut across the side of my face. Note that I said thin, not shallow. His nails scraped across the cut, digging deeper, and I cried out in pain, my body unable to move, my eyes unable to look away from my Father, who’d never treated me this harshly.

 “Father…?” I whimpered, clutching my cheek.

“Get out!” he screamed, throwing me off the porch. “I’m not your father. You’re a whore, just like your mother! Filthy Dhampir.

                The last words seared into my mind, the last he would ever say to me. My eyes widened in surprise. I was a DHAMPIR? I couldn’t be! I crawled back, clinging to Father’s cold, strong legs.

“Father, I didn’t know! It’s not my fault!” I sobbed, trying to hold on.

He kicked my face, and I fell back, the cut on my face joined by a new one, and they were both pouring out a thin, thick stream of blood. I quickly held the skin together. I couldn’t afford to lose blood, Vampires- and Dhampirs, I guess- cannot reproduce blood. We only have so much in our system after our heart stops pumping. Slowly, the blood began to stick together, and I slowly let go of my cheek, the pain still ringing in my ears. I would no doubt have bruises across my face, but they would go away quickly. The cuts were all I was worried about.

The realization dawned on me, as I was sitting in my yard, kicked in the face by the man I’d thought was my father. My mother, my vampire mother, had cheated on my father. With a human. My nose wrinkled in disgust. My mother was a whore, just like he had accused. Tears rolled down my pale face, and I slowly got up. I tried to open the front door. Locked. I almost attempted to break it down, but I knew I would be too weak.

“Father!” I screamed, banging my fists on the door. “Forgive me, please! Father!” I howled into the door, begging for him to hear me.

After about a half an hour straight of this, I slumped onto the porch. Mother will be home soon. She will help me a hopeful voice chided in my head. But, farther in the back, another voice called out, and I shuddered at its loathing tone.

Wait all you like, little Whore. Your mother will do you no help. She had the brains to not return.

The Vampires voice in my head, the one of my ‘Father’. I cried out in shock at this, stumbling to my feet.

That’s right, run away, little mistake. Little Dahmpir.

I ran off the small property in the forest, my jade green dress blending in as it began to spatter with mud. My long brown hair, hanging in a braid down the length of my back, flopped up and down, thumping my spine as I sprinted. Because I’d lost blood, the familiar burning in my throat flared, demanding the dark liquid of my dreams. I needed blood, for healing. I hadn’t fed in days, and I knew that I needed to soon. I sighed through my tears, changing directions toward the nearest village. As I flitted through the trees and foliage, I thought about the evidence of me being a Dhampir.

 I wasn’t as fast as Mother and Father, but they were full grown, I was only 17, 3 years away from turning fully! Surely I would gain my speed and strength then…

I didn’t need blood as often, but I blamed that on not being fully grown yet also. Since my family was nowhere near royalty, or even wealthy, we hadn’t met any other children, only nomads passing by. There was never anyone under the age of 20, nobody else who hadn’t completed the change.

Taking a breath, I stopped to scream at the top of my lungs. The noise that emitted didn’t sound human, more of a guttural screech. It was a noise of pain, but one that hadn’t fully registered yet. I was tempted to curl up under the beech tree beside me, but gritted my teeth and continued to sprint. I was almost at the village now, and the burning in my throat was beginning to become distracting. I knew that if I looked in a mirror, my eyes would be the exact shade of red as the blood that I so desperately craved.

As the forest thinned, I began to slow down. It was night, not that my eyes noticed a change. I could see perfectly in day and night, 4 times as good as any human you would encounter. My eyes scanned over the hills as I searched for the familiar stench of a human, trying to find a body for my canines to sink into. I smelled the human before seeing the figure in the distance and switched into hunting mode, crouching as I flitted around the small buildings, balancing on the balls of my feet as I hid behind a bale of hay, just to the right of the victim.

Flicking my hand out, I snatched the arm of the human; a young male around my age. He gasped in shock, but my hand was already over his mouth. I could feel my neck burning, pulsing to the beat of the human’s fluttering heartbeat. I whispered, “I’m sorry,” with a glance of sorrow towards the victim before arching his neck as sinking my teeth into the vein, a warm tangy liquid flooding into my mouth. I moaned quietly with satisfaction, I’d picked good. I gripped the body tighter, not willing to let go, even though he struggled. He was oddly strong. I wasn’t starving, so I didn’t drink enough to kill him. His eyes rolled back as I took my mouth off his neck, and he slumped into my arms. His warmth seared into my chest, and I flinched back slightly. Shallow breathing came from his chest.

 I could hear a voice calling a name, and I guessed that it was him they were calling for. I looked down at his head slumped on my shoulder, his body slack against mine. You need a food source if you can’t go back home. Father will kick you out of his territory if he sees you again my voice hinted. Sighing, I picked up the boy and threw him over my shoulder, entering back into the forest before anyone could see me. After getting to the middle, I set the male down; he was still sleeping. I picked up the bottom of my skirt, ripping of an even amount along the bottom, tying one end to his wrist and the other to mine. Vampires and Dhampirs didn’t sleep, but we did rest. The slightest movement from the boy would wake me up, so I settled down next to him, his warmth settling into the ground around us. It was summer, so the air was a comfortable temperature. I closed my eyes, my thoughts drifting around my head in misty swirls I couldn’t pick out.

~~~~

Okay, the temptation to write a Vampire story was too great, and they’re actually really fun to write. Yeah, I know I’m not working a lot on my other stories, but I just don’t know what to write next, and when I don’t know what to do, I write something else!

Anyway, I hope y’all had an awesome New Years, and many wishes for 2011! You know we need it >.>

Hope you liked the new story ^^ Comment/ Vote/ Fan!

~Lion