Unnormal

In my life, the word normal doesn't get used to describe me anymore. It hasn't since I was two hours old when my parents decided I wasn't a good child because i cried so much, so they thought it would be better if I was left by the door of a nurse. But this nurse wasn't a regular one, oh no, she was a nurse for a mental asylum. They decided she would take very good care of me since she took care of them also. When I was born they hadn't named me so my new mom did. My name, she decided, would be taken after my biological mother. Which meant my name would be Meliza. I still wonder what drove them to such a level of insanity that they had to be locked up. I'd asked my mom (nurse) how they lost sanity and she told me they'd been in a car accident that caused some brain damage. I asked her why nobody did anything about my mom's pregnancy and she simply told me no one knew.They had been trying to have a baby before the accident. Well that's the only explanation I can think of since they keep patients away from each other out of fear they can endanger themselves.

Meliza's mother's flashback

This thing is too tiny!

"Bart, I don't want it! You take it," I tried getting my husbands attention as I slipped my slender hands containing the yeti sounding thing through the cool, wide steel bars. I got his attention and he looked at me with sad, navy blue eyes.

He is worthless; he tried to kill you with those laser shining eyes, I thought

"That's not my responsibility," he hissed.

I tightened my mouth into a line and said, "Fine." I looked around until I seen the only door not made of stainless steel and remembered the feeder lived in there. Maybe she can tame the little brat.

I turned around and walked back to the hidden hammock I had made to hold a child but since this thing is-- well I don't know what it is-- then I'll just hide it until the key holder comes by then I will be able to continue my plan.

Around two hours later I heard the familiar thud of the keyholder's big boots. I curled my lip into a half smile and walked to my small drawing desk to pick up my ''grabber'' made from three hangers bound together. I tiptoed to the door and peeked over the edge to watch the guard. He was wearing a blue button up that barely closed around his potbelly, black slacks with key rings hanging off key hooks on his belt loop, and to my satisfaction, headphones.

I watched as he strode down the hall a little past my door. I counted to three and thrust my grabber through the slick bars. I targeted for the keys and hooked them onto the end of the grabber. Part one was complete. I slowly started to reel the keys back to me and proved successful. Fumbling with the keys, I began searching for the one with my door number on it. After a few seconds I found it and did not hesitate to stick the key into the lock and setting me free. I looked at my surroundings for minute embracing my freedom. When I was satisfied, I padded across the hall to my significant other's room. I made swift and quick moves to let him out. When he was free I felt obligated to hug him, so I did and felt strangely warm inside... I heard shuffling coming from around the corner so I quickly shut Bart's door and pulled him to my own. I stuffed him under my bed and took my key off the ring. I looked through the bars and seen a shadow on the wall down the curving hall. I threw the ring out in the hall and waited. The guard turned the corner and I watched him attempt to jog for his keys. Once he got there he cried, "Thank God!" and whistled the song he was listening to while walking away. As his whistling got fainter, I put the key back in the hole and let us out. I heard faint whimpering and remembered the bundle was still here. I turned back and grabbed it as gently as possible to keep it from wailing again. I grabbed Bart's hand and we stalked down the hall towards the end where the warden was located. As we neared I felt almost more free and quickened my pace. My vision started to blur with thoughts of being free and accidentally bumped into her door. My eyes widened with panic and I sort of dropped the bundle at her door and took off running with Bart close behind. As I got to the front door I could hear it beginning to cry out. I threw the door open and all I could think was, I'm finally free...