Epilogue

A few days ago, Coach Bombay called Charlie and I at the apartment one day, telling us how he called Basil McRae and asked if he could get a spot for a tryout with the Minnesota Waves. He would be leaving in a few days from Minneapolis to go to Duluth.

Here I was, on the side of the bus station with the Ducks and Ms. Conway. Charlie had his arm wrapped around my shoulder as Coach started at the end of the line, shaking hands with each of us.

"Don't take any bad dives." Peter shook hands with Coach.

Coach chuckled, "I'll try not to."

"Keep your head up, man." Jesse smiled which made Coach smile.

"Cake-Eater," Banksie replied, shaking hands with Coach.

"Remember concentration, not strength." Fulton reminded Coach.

"Right." He smiled before going to Averman.

"And for God sakes man, soft hands." Averman leaned in close to Coach.

"Right, anything else?" He smiled.

"Yeah, remember to have fun out there Coach-" Charlie spoke up.

"And remember your flock and your home here with the Ducks." I smiled.

Then Charlie and I went over and hugged Coach together, "I must be crazy, tryouts with the Waves. I'm gonna be going up against kids half my age." Coach then adjusted the strap of his hockey bag on his shoulder.

"Just have a good tryout, Gordon," Ms. Conway smiled. "One step at a time." The two leaned in closer.

"Yeah, right," Coach mumbled before the two kissed.

We all started hooting for the two, Charlie just stood there in shock. When they broke apart, Coach smiled, "Bye, ill call you when I get there." Coach then stepped on to the bus as we all gathered around.

"Banks is in line next!" Averman teased, playfully shoving him towards me.

After our dinner, Connie, Charlie, and I all talked about what happened and word spread around to the rest of the team members.

Coach then opened up the door, "Hey Ducks! See ya next season, we got a title to defend!" He smiled, while we all cheered. "Hey, Vic!" Looking at Coach, I saw him take off his whistle and throw it to me.

"Coach, this is your whistle! I can't take this!" Holding the whistle in my hand, I shook my hand, holding it out to him

"Yes you can Vic, someone needs to take care of the team. You're ready to fly Vicki." Coach nodded.

Tears started forming in my eyes as I ran to Coach on the bus, embracing him in a hug.

"Thanks, Coach." I sniffed, he patted my back, then put the whistle on my neck.

"No problem Vicki. See ya next season." When we broke apart, the doors to the Greyhound bus closed and started to drive away. The sun was just setting when the bus left. We all waved and chased the bus to the end of the curb watching Coach leave on the bus to go to Duluth. Coach was leaving his flock to go South for the winter and the Ducks would be here waiting for him when he returns.

 Coach was leaving his flock to go South for the winter and the Ducks would be here waiting for him when he returns