Intro

Welcome to M.C.C. !

I'm so glad you're here! This is a little different from what I normally write; being nonfiction and less of a "story", but this topic is really close to my heart and I'm looking forward to learning and growing with everyone!

To get it out of the way, I will say: any bullying, discrimination, or harassment will not be tolerated. I want this to be a space of love, acceptance, and understanding. Do not ridicule people for what they don't know; instead, educate.

You don't have to be mixed race or multicultural to read this - if you have children, siblings, friends, and family who struggle with their hair, or if you're just curious about ethnic hair, there's nothing wrong with that! It doesn't matter your gender or race - all are welcome. 

When I say, specifically, "care" I'm not just talking about physically (oils, shampoos, etc.) I'm also talking about self love. I want to create a community here where we can discuss questions we have, share concerns, personal stories. I want to help you to love yourself and your hair just the way it is!

I'll be discussing a wide range of topics:

- Products that are safe for your hair

- Ingredients/products that can be damaging

- Getting to know your curl type

-Finding the hairstyles that work best for you

- Dos and don'ts of styling your hair

- Cultural Appropriation

- Stereotypes/Misconceptions about mixed hair

If there is anything specific you would like to hear about feel free to PM me!

Please keep in mind, I am learning too. If you see something that seems inaccurate or that could be improved, let me know!

----you don't need to read this bit if you want but it's just some backstory----

The reason I wanted to start this book was because I'm mixed race, half-Indian half-white. My mother has very straight, black hair and my father had curly hair (though now he's bald). Growing up it was always a struggle because my hair is thick and very curly, and neither of my parents really knew how to handle that. I had countless babysitters that would sit with a brush and just go at my hair for sometimes hours. (Please note: if you have ethnic hair, just a brush does not cut it - we will be going into this.)

I was always told that I must not be washing it right or that I didn't brush my hair enough. Every morning before school I would sit and brush and brush and brush my hair. My hair, being curly, did what curly hair does - got bigger and fluffier. I was ashamed of my wild hair and was told it was my fault for not being able to tame it. And here's the thing - they were right. 

Not that it was my fault, but that I wasn't treating it the way it needed to be treated. Not that the way it needed to be treated was what they thought either. I had to take initiative, do my own research, and only then did I learn about things like "coconut oil" and "protective hairstyles". 

I now live with my white father and stepmother, and it has been difficult showing them that my hair needs different things than theirs does. I don't want anyone to feel ashamed of their hair just because they never had anybody to show them how to love it. So that's why I started this - not only to share what I know with you, but to hopefully learn some things for myself along the way. 

I'm always really happy when I see parents learning how to take care of their mixed childrens' hair - and I don't mean just the white parents, I mean both sides. My mother never had to deal with curly hair, even though she is darker skinned and has very thick hair. I wish my parents had tried to understand, and though they try harder now they still don't fully get it.

 I want to be able to help kids like me who struggle with finding the right way to treat their hair - and themselves.

Never forget: Your hair is beautiful no matter what.