Destroy That Damage!

Let's be honest; when you grow up around people that don't have the same hair type as you, it's difficult to find products that work.

It's easy to become misinformed - and this can lead to a world of hurt for your hair!

So before we get into products to help your hair, lets get some "don'ts" out of the way first.

One of the main things I've heard people did that they didn't realize was a bad idea was brushing. curly. hair. dry.

It's totally fine to want to have knot-free hair, and for people with straight or thin hair this seems like the easiest solution. If someone's hair looks like a rat's nest, "oh, they must not brush it."

For curly hair, it's the opposite. Never, ever, ever, dry brush curly hair unless it's absolutely necessary. 

Your hair will poof, frizz, any word you can think of that means get bigger and bigger and bigger. (The opposite of what brushing straight or thin hair is supposed to achieve).

When you brush your hair, do it wet. This will make it easier to actually brush all the hair instead of just the top layer.

Also, brush from bottom to top.

One of the most valuable things I've learned is that brushing from the bottom and moving up makes it so much easier to get the knots and tangles out without tearing out so much hair.

It might take some time to get used to but once you get in the habit it really pays off! You might notice hair dressers will do this too.

Another thing that can be really bad for your hair if not done properly is relaxer.

For those of you that don't know, relaxer is typically used on people who have tighter curls, like 3c to 4a. 

Basically what it does is it relaxes the curls, temporarily turning your hair wavy or straight. It's like straightening your hair but it lasts for wayyy longer.

The main mistake people make is they try to relax their hair themselves. Relaxer contains some harsh chemicals such as sodium hydroxide, which can be very damaging to not only your hair but your scalp.

People who do it themselves can tend to overlap - you may not see the effects of the damage at first but they're there. Overlapping is where you apply relaxer to hair that's already been relaxed. It can cause your hair to thin and break. If your scalp burns when using relaxer, that is NOT normal.

Getting your hair relaxed too often is a bad idea. Too often meaning when the hair begins to show a little wave or growth, or once every 4 weeks. You should consult a hairdresser on if it's a good time to get your hair redone, usually after there are around 2 inches of new growth (every 4-5 months or 16-20 weeks).

(Also don't itch or scratch your scalp before applying relaxer, it irritates the scalp.)

All in all, if you are going to relax your hair go to a hairdresser - they have been professionally  trained to apply it in a manner that won't damage your hair or scalp.

Finally, we all know that straightening hair is fun, cute, and tempting when you have curly hair.

Straightening hair for special occasions is fine, but you have to keep in mind that if you don't do it properly it can cause lasting heat damage to your hair.

I speak from experience on this one, straightening your hair every day or once a week is not the way to go.

When you have really thick hair, it's easy to make the mistake of straightening some pieces of hair more than once. Doing this frequently can cause your hair to become brittle and loose it's curl definition.

I would recommend going by sections, starting with the bottom layer of hair. Clip your hair on top of your head and slowly bring it down in layers to be straightened. That way there's no overlap.

Now that that's out of the way, here are some products that work for repairing curly hair.

OGX Renewing Moroccan Argan Oil Shampoo & Conditioner

THIS. Argan oil is rich in fatty acids so if your hair is dry and coarse this can really help you get that shine back! I use it all the time (2c/3a hair) but it works for most curly hair. Moisturizing at it's finest. Plus they're only 8 dollars a piece! (Around 6.10 pounds, 6.7 euros, 176.6 pesos or 600 rupees for my international lovelies out here).

CANTU Shea Butter Cream

It's a leave-in conditioning repair cream that moisturizes and heals damaged hair. Also good for doing your edges and not to mention it smells GREAT.

Asiam CocoShea Spray

Best for hair types 3 - 4, really good moisturizer. Just spray your hair before going out and scrunch it up a bit, the frizz turns into curls.

HASK Argan Oil Spray, Shampoo, Conditioner

I literally love all the argan oil products by HASK, the spray was my best friend for defeating frizz on the daily and the shampoo and conditioner smell like heaven. I'm kinda salty because it's a lil expensive and my spray got confiscated by airport security for being too many ounces so I had to throw it away *cries*.

I tried to only write about products I've had experience with so that I could give an accurate review, but there are plenty other products out there that can work for your hair type!

 Pantene, Dove, and Aussie are all brands that have really good shampoos, conditioners, and more that are tailored for curly hair. (Especially Aussie, I've actually used that before I just forgot.)

Please let me know if there are any questions or things you think I might have gotten wrong! I'm always open to constructive criticism. I get most of my research from sites like www.curlmix.com and www.naturallycurly.com (links will be in the comments!) as well as blogs by hairdressers and other professionals.

If you have any suggestions for more products, please comment them!

There are more products that we will be getting into in later chapters that work better for styling, so stay tuned!

And remember,

Your hair is beautiful no matter what!