Chapter 28

•Justin-King•

At ten fifty-five pm Bear, Jake and I were on our stomachs underneath the tall roots of the mangroves on the back property line. The houseboat in our sights.

That's where the senator was torturing my girl.

That's where he was going to die.

"Again, the plan is that you wait ten minutes," I said. "No matter what you hear, no matter what you see, you wait ten minutes. I can't risk Pup being killed because I didn't play by the psycho senator's rules." Jake and Bear both nodded in agreement. "I also need to make sure you two both know how this ends. When you come in, and the choice is between me or her, you chose her. You always chose her."

I will always choose her.

I cracked my knuckles. "I can't do this unless I know in the end, no matter how this fucking shit plays out, that she'll at least make it out whole," I said.

Looking back toward the houseboat, Jake nodded. "Agreed."

"No problem." Bear said. "In the event you don't make it out though, I'll take real good care of your girl for you."

"Jake," I said. "If I don't come out of this, shoot that motherfucker in the head." I stood and started walking toward the houseboat.

"10-4," Jake answered.

"What the fuck?" Bear shoved my shoulder. "You can't say that kind of shit to him, man. He'll take you fucking seriously."

That was fucked up, Boss Man. Jake wouldn't know sarcasm if it bit him on his Dexter ass, Preppy chimed in.

"Good. Cause I wasn't fucking joking," I said.

"It's time," Jake said, checking the clip on his gun.

I visualized Doe in my bed, naked and half covered with a sheet, watching one of the 90's action movies she loved so much, turning back to look at me to make sure I was paying attention to all the parts she deemed very important.

It's that visual and the visual of the senator begging for mercy that I carried with me as I went in blind. I cracked my knuckles again and handed Bear my gun. "Fuck, yeah."

It was finally time to get my girl once and for all.

No matter what, I wouldn't be leaving without her.