Part One

** Not entirely sure how much I like this one, but let me know what you think. It poured out of me like nothing has in a while when I've tried to write.**

CHLOE:

I'm on the road with the radio on, driving out to the middle of nowhere. I'd heard some murmurs about the pandemic that was sweeping the nation, but this morning it had been nothing but chaos.

The mayor was putting the city on lockdown for two weeks starting this afternoon and a lot of people are worried about groceries. I (thankfully) had the bright idea to stock up the week before when nobody seemed worried and the stores were still stocked. Right now, all I am thinking about is getting to my son before it's too late.

My son's dad Fallon and I weren't on the worst of terms where it came to divorcees, but we also haven't been the best of friends lately. The divorce went smoothly, mostly because we wanted it that way with the least amount of disruption for our son, Brett. I knew it was his allocated time with his son, but I knew if I didn't get over there quickly that I would likely not be able to see him for a few weeks.

So here I was. On my way to what my ex-husband's house in the middle of the woods with my bag packed and some groceries in the back to hopefully convince Fallon to let me in, and to let me stay.

I pull into his driveway and see his truck. I'm swept away in memories of us together in the front seats, on our first date, on our way to our first prenatal appointment for Brett, and our last ride together. God knows if I had known it was the last one, I wouldn't have taken it for granted.

I'm brought out of my reverie by Fallon opening the door and coming out. I take a deep breath before taking the keys out of the ignition and opening my door.

"You know I have him for the rest of the week, right?" Fallon calls out to me.

"Yeah, I do. I was hoping you wouldn't mind me crashing your time. The mayor just put the restrictions in place." I walk towards him, not wanting to yell this across the 15 or so feet apart we were.

"I didn't realize things had gotten so serious in town." He muses. "Brett's taking a nap. I think it would be better for him to stay out here with me, limit contact with people who may have been exposed."

"I agree. Which is why I came out here instead of asking you to bring him to me." I smile at him sheepishly as I continue. "Plus, my mom is really taking this seriously. You know I've been staying at her house while I try to find something. She knew I came over here, so I'll have to go to a friend's house if I can't stay with you."

Fallon stares at me for a minute, deep in thought. His brows furrow in a way that made me miss the days that I could be the one to soothe the lines in between them. Before things changed.

"Ah, hell. Why not. Hope you brought some groceries because I don't have enough for all three of us." I could tell that he knew I had; I was always the anxious mess out of our relationship. That's what I thought balanced us out. I was always prepared, and Fallon was there to bring me back to enjoy the present.

"You know I did." I smile and walk back to my car to grab my bag and one of the many bags of groceries in the backseat. I was planning on making a couple of trips, assuming that Fallon had gone back inside. I'm surprised to feel a hand grabbing my bag, and a couple of bags from the car before turning and walking inside.