The Beginning of a Journey

CHAPTER ONE

A loud threatening roar vibrates from under you and crackles throughout the night sky reassembling thunder but much louder and more dangerous sounding.

It's a warning.

Your fingers fearfully clench around long horns that adorn the top of the dragons head you sit upon. White fur hits your face as harsh wind from the fast ride rushes past you.

The dragons long red scaled body swerves roughly to the right as a surprise attack comes from the left. A much bulkier dragon has appeared. You can only see how large the beast is and not its appearance as the clouds cover the moon leaving you blind to your surroundings. Accept when it's jaws open wide showing row upon row of razer sharp teeth and a dark void that will lead to certain death.

Your fingers tighten their hold and you duck your head into the white fur, heart pounding painfully against your chest.

The opposing dragon snaps it's jaws and misses due to the clever companion you travel with.

This is not the first time another dragon has attacked you but it's not any less life-threatening or scary.

One wrong move could lead to a fatal wound that will end both you and your partner.

Another ear piercing roar flows from your dragon but this time out comes brilliant orange flames. The flames hit the other dragon causing it to screech in pain and flail about as it losses it's balance. The bulkier dragon does not stop but instead sees it as a declaration of challenge. It let's out it's own mighty roar that forces you to cover your ears. Your companion growls in annoyance and rushes at the enemy.

"Marsais!" You shout in horror of the daring and reckless decision your companion makes.

The two dragons hiss and snap their jaws at each other. A dangerous battle has begun and you can do nothing.

Both dragons take turns of chasing and flying away.

Claws slash at hardened scales.

A bite here and there.

Blood drips from sharp teeth.

Marsais opens their mouth wide and takes a chomp into the enemy dragons jugular. They wrap their long body around the bulkier dragon like a snake and tighten their hold. The other dragon fights back, sharp claws easily piercing into Marsais' now softened scales making them let out a pained screech. Both dragons refuse to release their hold on the enemy.

Blood oozes from where the darker dragon had pierced it's claws and more blood spurts as the darker dragons claws slice across Marsias unprotected face.

Seeing the pain your companion is enduring you quickly unclip the heavy weapon that you carry on your back. Spear in hand you inch closer to the enemy dragon now that it's face is at a closer distance. You move your arm back and with a strong whoosh your spear flies towards the unsuspecting dragon piercing through it's glowing purple eye.

A pained whimper.

A victorious screech.

The darker dragon becomes limp.

Marsais releases their hold and the body of the other dragon falls towards the dark abyss that lies below you.

You let out a sigh of relief. You pat the red dragons head. "Good job, Marsais."

Marsais let's out a tired breath of air. Muscles go limp. Their weak body slows and stumbles through the sky.

"Marsais?" You whisper in worry.

Your hands feel sticky.

Realization dawns on you too late as Marsais' body jerks roughly to the side and hits the side of an unseen mountain.

Another weakened and pained whimper.

You scream as you plummet to the ground.