Chapter 1

If you've ever just felt afraid of the dark, have you ever wondered why? Was there any particular reason for the fear to creep under your skin? Or, was it just there out of instinct?
Trees surrounded completely around the kingdom wall. No one was allowed to leave the walls in fear of the darkness in the forest that was bordering the perimeter. The shadows was all there was in there and it was dangerous to even step one foot in. Many have gone missing and never returned. The king tried to open war, but only lost men.
They say that the light always wins, but that day was the darkest day in history. Now that the king is scared of being overthrown, he keeps daytime the new norm; making the sun never go down and continuous daylight out. There are clouds here and there that make it a little shady, but he never lets even a day of break go by out of fear that the shadows will come out and finish the job. Ever since that day he has forbidden anyone to leave and if they do they are banished forever and never allowed back in.
Years go by and no one has broken this rule. Not even the queen that has her own family she used to go see all the time. They had a baby girl and the king knew as much as he wanted to fight, he wanted to see his baby girl grow up and become the next heir. Every girl that is the first born becomes chosen to hold the light. A necklace that has a crystal of light, and it is the power source of all light. Without it, there would be no light at all.
There was a ceremony held on her eighteenth birthday, and now she has the responsibility of holding the light.

* * *

"Trinity? Are you in there?" the king knocked on his daughters door, but no answer. "Trinity?" he peers inside and no sign of her in the room. He closes the door and with an annoyed look on his face he turns to the guard that was supposed to be watching her room.
"I told you to watch her room at all times! Where were you?!" the king shouted, throwing his hands to his side.
"I was-I don't know your highness. I lost my train of thought and wondered about something, but then I forgot what that was. I apologize for the way I acted."
"You must be retrained in the skills of being a guard! I am very appalled by this action and will not take it! Let general Manors know of this behavior and tell him I said I want a different guard appointed to my daughters room immediately!"
"Yes, your highness," the guard walked off and had a sort of stiffness in his walk.
The king continued on the search for his daughter.

* * *

Trinity Varson, a young adult now that has the power of light around her neck. Very curious girl. Never stops asking questions or exploring on the wall to look far out among the thick trees that leave no room for exposure. She wonders what the darkness is like, and why people are so afraid of it. She's heard from many people that it's scary because you don't know what is lurking in there; or there are creatures that can see you, but you cannot see them.
So many questions that she wants to ask, but the majority of the kingdom doesn't know anything about the dark forest other than what it's called; the forest of shadows.
Trinity was walking across the wall and looking down with her fingers around her eyes like they were binoculars. Looking among the thousand of trees that intertwined together forming a floor of treetops.
"If only there was some sort of opening that I can peek through. Along the whole border there is just trees overlapping each other making it impossible to see anything," What could be so bad, that has people frightened? I've heard only stories, but they're all so different. The creatures are ugly, the creatures are beautiful and deceitful, but then they have no look at all. It all became so confusing for me since I've never seen these creatures. Are they even just creatures, or are they human just like us?
I guess you could say I wanted to shine light on the subject, but I hear they hate the light and they'll only run away. I assume that is why my father decided to keep the light in the sky and never let it be nighttime. I wonder what my fathers plan is? He hasn't done anything since I was born, but he planned before to burn the whole forest down. Yet, he could easily do that and have no worry of them surviving if they are such a danger.
"Trinity!"
I turn around to see one of the guards running at me in a frantic behavior.
"Hey! What's up?"
"Your father!"
Oh no..he always worries where I am, but I am of age now to do what I please and how I live my life. He shouldn't have to worry about me anymore because I am no longer a child.
"Tell him I'm fine! I don't feel the need to have to go and let him know every second of my existance is still present. He should know I'm smart enough to not go anywhere i shouldn't!" I turn back to the forest. Or, am I? The forest and the darkness is a very curious thing to me. It sounds dangerous, but I want to know what lurks under those trees. I want to see what others have seen.
"You know your father will send for you again. He is persistent and even you should know that."
"Fine," this old man of mine needs to quit this because I'm an adult now.