4.9

⇋ Steele dropped me off in front of Guthrie Hall three minutes before seven fifty

Steele dropped me off in front of Guthrie Hall three minutes before seven fifty. If he hadn't come over to my apartment this morning, I would've been sitting out in the hallway by seven fifteen. Luckily no one was out and about yet though, so I wasn't spotted riding in Steele's notorious El Camino. Not that anyone even knows who I am if they had happened to see me. I'd just be another rumor.

The door to the lecture hall was already unlocked and wide open by the time I made it inside, which is something I've never been late enough to witness. I'm normally so early on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays that I get to class before campus is even technically open. I mean, I'm completely fine with it though. I'd rather be hours early than be on time.

An annoying part of my consciousness in the darkest depths of my mind wishes that Steele would've kept me from coming to class. I'm just not too convinced that I believe his excuse for not taking it further earlier. Why is he holding back when it comes to me? I'm sure he's never held back before. I'm scared he's lying to me still, and all of what he said to me would be real shitty of him to lie about.

"Hey! Running a little late today?" My acquaintance in class greeted me with a brief smile on her pillowy lips once I got down to the second row.

Almost half the class is already in here. This feels so foreign to me.

"Surprisingly. How are you doing?" I asked, returning the smile even briefer than she had as I crossed in front of her to get to my cushioned seat.

"So tired. My stupid roommate kept me up until two last night. What about you?"

"Almost the exact same. I didn't get in bed until around two either. It was a long night." I casually answered while pulling my notebook and a pen out of my backpack.

"You? Not going to bed until two in the morning? What the hell was happening?" She laughed quietly as to not draw unnecessary attention to our conversation.

"A fuck ton." I chuckled back.

"And now you're cussing out in public? Wow. I would've never thought when we met on the first day of class that you'd ever get to this point. College really does wonders to mental sanity." Ivy's dark brown eyes narrowed joyfully as she continued to laugh at her joke. I laughed with her as her astute observation settled a little more in my mind.

I am a completely different person than I used to be back in August. Do I even like who I am anymore?

"I think maybe I've just recently gotten mixed up with the wrong crowd. They're who I'm going to try to blame for my behavior, at least." I hesitantly stated while the grin on my face faded into nonexistence.

"Which crowd?" She generously and kindly asked as her body turned toward mine an inch more with interest.

"The, uh... hardcore partiers or whatever." I answered her with a brief shake of my head.