Heavy Set

I was tempted. The honey bun in my hand caused my stomach to growl. “Diet,” I said. “Remember your diet.” But the temptation just grew. If mom ever found out about this she would kill me. “Just one more,” I said racing to the microwave. “Then I'm off the stuff for good!”

The smell of sugar eroded throughout the entire kitchen and I felt like I was in a dream. I kept myself from drooling but my stomach wouldn't stop growling. When the timer rang I knew that heaven was only a few bites away. “So good!” I said hoping that mom was still asleep. “How could I ever give you up?” I stopped eating however when Jessica, my youngest sister, came into the room. “Don't scare me like that!”

She just smiled at me and my sugary face. “Keep eating those and you'll get fatter,” she laughed. I tried keeping myself from throwing my bun at her.

Jessica walked over to the counter to grab a batch of apples. That was what she always had for lunch. A girl with her slender figure always had to watch their weight.

“Apples aren't the only thing you should be eating for lunch. Why not try some ham?”

“No way! I need to loose as much weight as I can. Cheerleader try outs are coming soon!” She stuffed the apples into her bag. “I'm going to get dressed now. Try not to stuff your face.” Was I a pig in her eyes? At least I enjoyed all food.

When the clock chimed 7:30 I heard mom. Quickly I cleaned up my mess. “Hey mom!” I said just finishing washing my plate. “How are you?”

She eyed me suspiciously. “Why aren't your dressed. School's going to start soon?”

“R-right. I'll get dressed right now.”

“Where's Izzy?” she asked as I walked past her.

“Took the bus to school again. Said she has some research to do at the library.”

“I see. Now would you please hurry up.” I nodded and made my way up stairs.

I was hesitant about getting dressed. With my body I don't think any of the cloths I had would make me feel better. School was a hassle for me. Even with trying to seclude myself from people I still managed to be ridiculed. I wish I stalled for time just a little better then I did.

Unlike Jessica I'm not the girl who get's the guys and has tons of friends. She can wear short skirts without having to worry about her legs. Even Izzy can wear jeans despite the fact that she's just as tall I am. I have to wear sweats since they are the only thing that fit my waist. Sad thing is even though I want to wear jeans or skirts I just can't help but feel comfortable in sweats. Basically I'm not a super model.

Mom called for Jessica and I. Jessica quickly went downstairs obviously excited about school. She was like that everyday actually.

Before I left my room I grabbed my journal. This was the one thing I couldn't live without. My stories were my most precious treasure. When I heard mom honk the horn I stuck the journal in my backpack and ran downstairs.

I couldn't allow my mom to see my writing. She thought it was useless. Even though I had a new idea that I wanted to write down I had to restrain myself. “And so David asked me out yesterday to the Spring festival.”

“Did you turn him down?”

“No but I didn't say yes. I mean what if someone better comes. The festival is still a month away. I told him to wait for my answer.” Mom laughed seemingly agreeing with my sister's horrible idea.

At times I couldn't take Jessica. She had so many guys at her feet. David was the seventh one that asked her out. I could never really understand what she wanted. Just go for a guy you like and ask him out yourself instead leaving all these boys out to dry.

“Theresa,” Mom said breaking my concentration.

“Y-yes?”

“Anyone you like?” I tried to avoid her question but she wasn't one to drop a subject. “Well?”

“N-no.” Jessica laughed. If anyone knew who my secret crush was it was her. I knew she wouldn’t tell mom though since she loved to see me blush.

“To bad. You really should try and find a guy. You are a senior after all.” I sunk down into the car seat and Jessica just kept snickering.

I did like a guy in school but unlike Jessica I couldn't be blunt about it. There was no one I could share my feelings with about how I felt about him. I don't even make fantasies, like a lot of girls in school, about him either.

As Jessica kept talking about her 'love' life I just stared out the window. For a brief moment I caught my image from the car window. My depression grew. I didn't want to go to school and see him there. I doubt he even knew I existed. I'm just too heavy set.