Prologue

I can't remember much from before the manor, I even have trouble remembering things from my time at the manor, but I remember the day I had arrived at the place where I would go on to have some of my happiest days.

Luca's POV

The bell went off to wake up. My head was pounding from the migraine I normally get in the mornings, and my eye swollen from the beatings that occurred the previous night. I got up and headed for the showers, slapping myself a few times to wake me up, before going off with everyone else to the cafeteria.

It was packed with people eating and talking among themselves. I didn't tend to communicate with anyone here, it would only get me into more trouble, so I sat down at my normal table off to the side. Today wasn't a normal day though, I knew something was off when one of the guards walked over to me. I was trying to come up with a reason of why he would talk to me, 'did I do something wrong? Was it because of the guys from yesterday?' the real reason though, was not one I was expecting.

"You're getting bailed out today."

I froze up, my fork falling out of my hand onto my tray.

"W........What.....?"

Was all I could mutter out. Questions were racing through my mind, 'Why would someone bail me out', 'Who bailed me out', 'Was it my parents? I barely remember them, I doubt they would', but none of these questions would be answered anytime soon as all I remember after that was getting a wax sealed letter and being stuffed into the back of a cab, taken off to a place I had never been before, a dreary looking manor in the middle of no where.

After the cab left me on the front porch standing in front the big oak doors, I opened the letter and read it, my purpose here becoming more clear.

"So they....bailed me to come play a stupid game...? Alright, well, the prize better be worth it"

As I went to push the door open, someone else opened it, a shorter lady with brunette hair pulled back into a tight bun with a white cap and what looks like a white nurses dress with a blue cape. Oh god, I didn't think I'd have to interact with people this soon, remember, sweet serendipity! Sweet serendipity! With those words I put my classic smirk and waited for her to say something.

"Ah! You must be the new survivor I was alerted of, my name is Emily Dyer, I am the doctor here at Oletus Manor."

She gave a little curtsey after that and smiled at me, but there was something off about that smile, like she knew something that I didn't. I never trusted doctors, and I certainly don't trust this one.

"Nice ta meet'cha, I'm Luca Balsa, ya know, the one you were alerted of, soooooooooo what is this place?"

I mainly asked to try and hurry this conversation along, I don't like talking to people who seem to know things I don't, but I was kind of curious too.

"As I mentioned earlier, this is Oletus Manor, at the moment 26 of us survivors reside here, 27 including you, and 16 hunters, you'll get to meet everyone else later"

26....and 16....that makes 42, I really don't want to have to meet and remember 42 people but I won't tell that to this Emily lady, she seems like the kind to force you into doing something, instead I decided to focus on some other things that interested me.

"Reside? You mean like, living here? And what do you mean 'hunters'"

She seemed exasperated to have to explain that, maybe she has explained it many times before.

"Yes, you will be living here with everyone else, and its apart of the games we participate in here at the manor, your teammates will explain to you how it works when you get your first match, but that doesn't matter right now, what matters is all those scars and bandages on you and that god awful eye! Come to my clinic right now and I'll properly patch you up."

I knew this was something I wouldn't be allowed to say no to so I followed her down the hall to her clinic, wondering if my life here will be as horrible as it was before.

Spoiler, it isn't 

[730 words]