Chapter 4

HUNTER:

I am in a rage.  After I left Arianna, I ran to the dungeons.  I hate myself for what I did to her. One of the guards comes over to me and bows.

"Alpha…"

"You will chain me up and whip me.  40 lashes for the 4 that I gave to my mate."

"Sir?"

"Do it…."

He looks at the other guard and moves me into an empty cell.  He chains my wrists to the wall.  The chains are unbreakable, even for me.

"Alpha...are you sure?"

"Do it!  Do not hold back!"

As the whipping begins, I do not cry out.  I will take every blow for hurting my love.

"Harder!"

He whips harder, and I squeeze my eyes shut.  Thinking only of Arianna.  Her scent, her touch, her soft skin.  After the 40 lashes, he goes to unchain me.

"No...leave me.  Do not return until tomorrow."

"Alpha...you have suffered enough.  Please sir, your wounds will get infected if they are not treated right away."

"I said...LEAVE!."

He leaves me there and my only thoughts are of the beating that I gave to Arianna.  It wasn't enough.  I should have taken more.  At some point, I fell asleep.  I was awoken by my shackles being removed.  I looked up into the face of my mistress.

"What do you think you're doing?  Why would you do this?"

"For whipping my mate."

My response shocks her.  When I get up, she slaps me.

"You said you didn't care about her.  So why would you do this?"

"It's the bond.  When she hurts, I do too."

"Then allow me to show you what real pleasure is."

  I follow her out of the dungeon.  She takes my hand and we make our way up to my room.

"Lay on the bed and I will tend to your back first."

I do as she says.  I still am trying to convince myself that I don't want Arianna.  Layna returns with some first aid and a bowl of warm water.  She starts cleaning off my back.

"Your wounds are already healing."

"I am an Alpha.  They heal faster."

"Why am I not enough for you Hunter?  Have I not given you everything?"

"You have…"

I roll over and sit up, taking Layna's hand in mine.

"I do not have the ability to love."

"I knew that when I came here.  It does not mean that I do not love you."

"I know you do.  Now ...where is that pleasure you promised me?"

She smiles, knowing that I have not rejected her.  She undoes my pants, pulling them off, then removes her dress.

"Touch me Hunter."

I grab her and roll her onto her back, hovering over her.  I kiss her, but it does not feel the same as it used to.  Arianna has infiltrated my thoughts, and I imagine it is her that I kiss and hold.  After we have sex, Layna falls asleep, wrapped up in my blanket.  I feel hollow.  I look over at her, knowing I just betrayed my mate.   I hate myself and cannot sleep.  I quietly leave the room and head out toward Arianna's little cottage.  It's late and all of the lights are out.  It's a cool night, and she has left her bedroom window open.  Through her window, I can see her sleeping.  She looks so peaceful, but in her sleep, a few tears escape her eyes.  Is that because of me?  Or her current dream?