“And then I told him, ‘No, if you wanted a Bentley, you shouldn’t have said it looks like a Chrysler 300.” Add that to the list of jokes I didn’t think was funny. Zachary and Nadine thought it was the funniest thing he’d ever said; Brian just gave him a polite chuckle. Maybe if I wasn’t so low maintenance when it came to cars, I would have thought that joke was hilarious. Until then, I’d push my food around on my plate until it was time to leave.

I felt someone’s leg brush against mine, making me look up to see Brian’s beautiful eyes locked to mine. It was like he was saying sorry which only made me laugh. It wasn’t his fault, I was just bad company, I guess.

“So what about you Jane, all we know is your name.” He asked, though the ‘we’ was again out of politeness. He wanted to know about me, I could tell the way he adjusted him body to nearly face me.

“Oh, I’m—I don’t really know where to start.”

“She’s a baker.” Nadine chimed in.

“I guess I’ll start there.  I bake; it’s nothing anything major yet. I just do orders of cakes and stuff to the people I know. Keeps the bills paid.” That and shifts at the coffee hut.

“I haven’t heard the word bills in so long, nice to know how the other half lives though.” My head turned so quick you could almost hear it snap. Nope, Zachary didn’t just say that. He didn’t just make another one of those poorly executed rich jokes, this time I was the target. Please say he didn’t, so I can spare him. I looked at Brian who looked away, leaving me there trying to reclaim reality.

It was quiet at first until Nadine spoke up for me, like always. “Jay’s not the other half, she’s the whole. She grabs life by the horns and no one has to give anything to her. I envy her more than anything.” She said with a small shrug, looking at me with apologetic eyes.

I rubbed the back of my neck, trying to take in her compliment more than his jeer. Maybe it stung because I knew in my subconscious that Brian was one of them, and he didn’t say anything because he felt that way too. Or maybe I was blowing it out of proportion again. Brian avoided confrontation; I was the same kind of person, so I should respect that.

Zachary rolled his eyes at Nadine’s little comment before jerking back a little too fast, knocking over a glass onto Brian.

“Oh God!” He said, standing up letting the wine hit the floor though it already soaked his pants. He shook his hands in each direction, splashing everyone in the process.

“Hey, hey!” I said, holding my hands up. I was next to him, so I was super splash zone.

“I’m sorry but this is Armani, and it’s going to be ruined. Damn it!” He yelled out, everyone in the restaurant looking in our direction, as if we didn’t already stick out like a sore thumb already.

“Chill out, it’s just a suit—“

“If you knew how much this cost, you would realize this isn’t just a suit.”

He wasn’t calm, collected; he wasn’t trying to avoid confrontation now. He was making a big scene over some wine on a suit. Maybe I didn’t understand it cost a lot of money, but it didn’t mean he should lose his cool like that. I grabbed my napkin, wiping my face, trying to avoid the glances we were getting.

“If you’re done making an ass out of yourself Brian,” Zachary said with a smirk. “Maybe we can finish dinner up.”

Brian scolded him for a second before sitting down again. But that didn’t last take long; it was like he was squirming in his seat, his face becoming more and more agitated. He finally stood up again, leaving his chair out as he made his way towards the entrance.

“Where is he going?” I said, starting to push my chair out, peering at his departing back.

“Probably calling a cab. He’s so picky with his clothes you know. Those boys with new money are always like that.” He said calmly, leaning on his elbow, the other arm wrapped around Nadine’s waist.

“Money isn’t everything.” I said, worry being the controlling emotion. Was he going to be okay, maybe I should—

“Probably shouldn’t tell him that.”

“Excuse me?”

“Zachary stop.” Nadine said, finally having a voice in the conversation.

“Oh come on, at least I should tell her. He lives and breathes money, everything he owns he clenches to with dear life. He loves having things and he doesn’t care what it takes to get it either. Probably sell his mother for some stock. He’s a real go getter, I respect that. That’s why I thought you two would be perfect, living off what you make. I mean, we’re defined by what we have.” My face fell as Nadine pleaded with him to just stop and I knew why. I knew that she knew what he was saying sounded like complete stupidity. Defined by what we have? Was this guy for real? And Brian was a guy like that? Was that what he was trying to say? Did he not know how that kind of story ended? I asked myself so many questions that my head started to spin.

“I’m—I’m gonna just go, alright Nadine.” I didn’t, hell I couldn’t even look at her as I left. He was another bad decision. Guys like this don’t live very long, and if they did, they were as lonely as could be.

I couldn’t be around someone like that, it made me sick. I finally got outside where the cool air hit my face and Brian was nowhere to be found. He probably already walked or something. I couldn’t wrap my mind around them anymore so I focused on just getting to my car and starting it up. But like most things in my life, it didn’t go my way.

I started my car once, it didn’t take. Twice, three times. I leaned my head on the steering wheel before beating on it. I just wanted to get out of here. The comfort of my own home where I could think and say what I needed out loud so the weight would be off my chest. But I was stuck in my broken down car, looking like I was having a break down. But that didn’t go for long when I heard someone softly tap at my window. I nearly jumped out of my skin, staring at them for a while. It was one of the valet guys, I could tell by the little vest and bowtie. He had a beard growing in and hair that looked like he either raked his hair through it one too many times, or he woke up like that.

I rolled down my window, clearing my throat. I didn’t get a word out before he started talking.

“Need any help? I saw your car wasn’t starting, I can check under your hood if you want.” I’d only let my uncle work on this car, but right now I was desperate to get out of here so I just nodded.

I popped the hood and he rounded the car, lifting it to take a look. What if he stole something? What if he broke it even more? What the hell was I doing? I banged on the steering wheel a few more times before I could hear him yelling.

“Start the car!” I turned the key; low and behold it started up like its good old self. I pressed the horn out of excitement, having a few passersby looking at me. He let down the hood, dusting his hands off before he came to the window again.

“Just your spark plugs, needed to just take them on and off. Always does the trick.” He said, giving me a smile. It was the type of smile that clenched your heart and made you smile back.

“I have no idea what that means, but thank you so much.”

“No problem, looks like your night wasn’t going too well since you were having a mini freak out in here.” He said with a small laugh.

I was so embarrassed I had to lean my forehead on the steering wheel, laughing with him. “I didn’t think anyone noticed me.”

“It would be hard not to.” He said with a soft smile before looking over his shoulder, seeing someone pull up. “Have a good night.”

I gave him a small wave as he jogged across the street. I felt almost instantly calm, it rushed over me instantly. I don’t think I ever felt this at peace before and I never wanted it to stop. I didn’t want to dwell on it and make it disappear, so I got on the road, driving back home, feeling something I never knew I needed to feel.