prologue

Prologue

Normally I would’ve ignored loud taps and screeches outside my window, but the taps and screeches were familiar. I heard them before, many times before.

Tap, tap.

Two constant taps. I knew it was him. I shouldn’t. But it’s midnight and it’s cold… before my brain could even I argue with me I find my fingers reaching for the blue curtains, parting them. The smile on his face makes my stomach twist, but still, I can’t help but smile back. Unlocking, I slide the window open. “It’s time.” He says with smirk, my heart skips a beat. I really, really shouldn’t. But I follow him; out the window and onto the (very convenient) fence then onto the ground. The first time I jumped from the fence I scraped my elbow and I still remember very clearly he had laughed at me then he had apologized for doing so. That was only months ago even though it feels like years.  And just like we always had, he got onto his bike and I climbed behind him, as he started the machine I looked back at the dimly lit house, the only Christmas decoration was the wreath that hung on the front door. The growl of the engine made me jump back as I clutched onto him as tight as I could. I forgot my sweater, damn it. As he hit the gas the cold wind hit me like a million needles at once. Who knew California could be cold?

We traveled for exactly six minutes, as always. He parked the bike and on cue we both got up and unlike the first time I came here and the many times after, I led the way through the trees. The walk took about two minutes as usual but it felt like so much longer. Finally, we were at the edge of the cliff, the trees had cleared and the waves crashed against rocks in an angry manner. Even the sea was mad at us. I shivered, slowly sitting on the log that had always been there as if it was inviting you to sit down; he sat right beside me, as always. Few silent minutes passed, I could feel his eyes on me. Then he spoke, “You did it, Daniels.” My gaze shifted from the waves to him, he continued, “You made the mistake,” he shrugs, “I was right.” I stared at him, without a word. He was right. I did make the mistake. I did exactly what he said I would; and I couldn’t even help it. Even though that one tiny thing had created so many complications and had even ruined some relationships, I didn’t regret it. I smile, just a little as I begin, “No, you’re wrong.” I state.

He raises an eyebrow, “How so?”

My smile widens, “It’s not a mistake.”

And then Neal Spencer said something that I never would have guessed for him to say right then.

“Lila Michaela Daniels, you are so, completely screwed.”

About that he was very right.