Night Sky

It was 11:30 PM of December 31, 2019. Just 30 minutes before the start of another year. Hopefully, a meaningful one.

We were sitting by the field at Mary Booth Lookout Reserve, a stunning view for the Sydney Harbour Bridge, situated across the Sydney Harbour that carries you between the Sydney Central Business District and the North Shore. A little look to your left and, there, you would find the spectacular creation of the Opera House, a fine piece of work.

I looked above and saw a sky full of dazzling, twinkling stars like someone had played with a handful of diamonds and tossed it in the heavens. They were so beautiful.

The thin air breezed through my nape and I felt a cold shiver across my whole body. It was supposedly a summer night in New South Wales but since me and Martin came from the Philippines, we were both shivering.

I was digging through my favorite homemade mozzarella cheese sticks when I felt Martin's arm around me. It was his jacket that he placed over my shoulder that made me warmer so I thanked him for that. Martin and I happily tied the knot five years ago, a ring on the right hand with no children. But we were blessed otherwise.

10 seconds before the beginning of the following year, I could hear everyone screaming their lungs out; thrilled and electrified for what 2020 might bring.

"10!" I put down my bag of cheese sticks on the mat.

"9!" Stood up beside my husband.

"8!" I wrapped my arms around his torso. Hugging him tightly like I'm holding for dear life.

"7!" But then I remembered something.

"6!" I suddenly unwrapped my arms around in his body.

"5!" Grab my purse on the mat we were sitting on.

"What is it?" I heard him asked.

"4!" Searched for the one thing I needed to show my husband.

"3!" Panicking for the 3 seconds I have left.

"Hey, Love," I could hear his panicked voice in the middle of this ear-piercing sound that the New Years Eve is giving.

"2!" Oh! I finally found it!

"1!" I stood up.

"Happy new year!" Kissed my husband a happy new year and showed him the piece of paper he'd been longing to see. An ultrasound. My ultrasound.

I saw how Martin's face became pale one second and then bright red on the next second. The Earth suddenly stopped spinning for the both of us and the atmosphere was in still motion. At least, that's what happened to me upon seeing his reaction. Tears were escaping his eyes and I hugged him for dear life.

For our dear's life.

That's where I want to stay, that's where my heart belongs, in his arms.

And under the light of a whirling spiral that shatters into a thousand sparks and tumbles like a scarlet waterfall that floats in a glittering silver shower, we were happy.

We were ecstatic.

We were euphoric.