Chapter 20

Surely I saw my lolo's face scrunched when jennie's father land a punch on my face. Namumula ito sa galit but still got the patience to ask me if he can punch me even just once. I let him and suddenly I regretted it. I almost feel my nose detached from my face because of that hard blow.

My lower lip bleed. I wiped it with a handkerchief and I immediately compose myself just like nothing happened. Back to being me. The Luca Manoban they feared.

"Serves you right apo" i gave my lolo a smirked before facing the now calmer Anton.

"Do you know how mad I am?"

"I know. I felt it— so now that you're aware of jennie's current situation..hnd na ako mag papaligoyligoy pa. Im marrying her—"

"Do you love her?" He asked me seriously and I have a feeling that if I'll say no, I'll probably run for my dear life.

"She's carry my child—"

"I'm asking you if you love my daughter!!" I saw how his eyes water. It must have been hard for him to know that his daughter was the payments for the money he stole from the company at sa totoo lang bigla akong naawa sa kanya. The man only want to save his dying wife and me being immature didn't see the hardship jennie and her family went through. I'm an asshole. I know and that punch is not even enough to compensate the mess I made.

Not answering his question have probably given him a hint that I'm just marrying his daughter because of the child. And I was right.

"We'd rather raise the child alone than force my daughter to marry you. I don't want to give my daughter to someone who only saw her as a payment for the money I stole. I don't want to give my daughter to man who's not capable of loving a woman. I don't want to give my daughter to some who doesn't love her—"

"I love her and that's the reason why I'm telling you these. I want to make things right this time. For jennie and for our baby"

"Anton" my grandfather intervened. He put his arm around mr. Anton's shoulder and lead him to seat on the couch. "You've been a very good employee to me, in fact I already considered you as my son and Hearing from Luca that you stole money from me hurts me— it pains me that you really find it difficult to ask for help when I'm much willing to help you" he sigh before he continue. "Naiwasan sana lahat ng to, Anton. But I have forgiven you and I understand the situation that Luca, failed to comprehend" he said and give me a sharp look. "But my grandson here is trying to man up and want to take full responsibility of your daughter. He's whipped for you daughter Anton—"

"Lo, it's unnecessary—"

"All I want is for jennie to have a wonderful life. But I fail her" he frustratingly covered his hand on his face. "I fail her. She suffered for the things she didn't do, dahil sa kagagawan ko. Hnd ko na alam kung anong mukha pa ang maihaharap ko as kanya. She's supposed to be enjoying her life but I can't even provide them the life they deserve..I'm a failure. Wla akong silb—"

"Don't say that Anton— jennie knew how great of a father you are for them. Hnd nya gagawin ang ginawa nya if you are not important to her. She loves you and hearing those word from you will surely make her sad.. it's all my fault. I never think of consequences. I never think of other people but myself. I want to make things right this time. Allow me"

He looked at me with uncertainty but this time his expression somewhat became soft.

"Please... Make her happy" he sadly stated.

I nod and give him a soft smile. "I intend to do that"

——————

Jennie stirred from her deep slumber. She sleep well last night na hnd nya namalayan ang oras. When she looked at the watch on the bed side table nanlaki ang mga mata nya ng makita ang oras. It's half past 9 at sa pagkakatanda nya May rehearsals sila at 9 for their up coming graduation.