Chapter 4- 'Divided by' Cafeteria

          Math passed with momentary questions from Jessy about the symbols that our teacher wrote in the front.

          "Chance, look at that thing," she whispered to me as I wrote the scribbles that were written on the board.

          "Where?" I asked her in a barely audible tone.

          "There!" she said in an airy but, loud voice as she pointed her fingers to the board, making my brows to furrow in confusion.

          "It looks like a duck egg that is about to crack!" she said in a hushed tone as she stared onto my eyes widely.

          "It's called 'Theta', Jessy," I explained as I chuckled on her weird obsession.

          The bell rang about five minutes after and the students started to rush out of the room, not even bothering to put their belongings back inside their bags.

          I stood up from my chair when I saw that everyone had left. Jessy rose up and streched her back, giving her hips little spins as she groaned.

          "Math is a real pain in the poopy hole and on my back," she complained as we made our way outside the room.

          "You're right, though. But, I kinda love the challenge," I replied as I chuckled.

          "Oh, I never noticed that baby ducky, here, is a nerd," she mocked as she nudged my shoulder playfully.

          "Why? Don't you like Math?" I asked.

          "Obviously! It's like speaking a whole new language. The language of the universe to be exact! And, I don't even speak in that tongue, I speak English!" she explained in her lively voice as I gave her a scoff.

          We continued to walk, failing to unsee the occasional stares and whispers that the loiterers in the hallway were sending our way.

         "What yah looking at, fake plastic rubber duckies?" Jessy snarled towards two girls who were obviously gossiping about me in clandestine.

          I grabbed Jessy's shoulder as I gave her a reassuring tight smile. She sighed as we proceeded.

          "Just ignore those babbling quakers, Chance. Narrow people feed on drama," she said as she patted my back comfortingly. I nodded as I assured once again that it was fine.

           "That's the reason why you need to know some stuff here so you know who will or will not give you trouble," she said while shaking her head.

          "But, Don't worry. If someone gives you any trouble, I'll be beating their saggy butt cheeks," she said as she punched her palm, making me me laugh. How could this childlike and small being protect me from trouble?

          "Let's go, shall we? We're on lunch break. I'll demystify everything in the cafeteria," she said while offering her hand.

          I took it and we started to run along the cold corridor, heading to the huge glass door of the cafeteria. We pushed the door open as we panted, scrouching while our palms touched the area above our knees.

          When we caught our breath, Jessy told me to grab two trays on the stack of many. I gave her a tray as we went towards the long queue of teenagers.

          "Students here love the idea of categorical thinking," she started out of nowhere, rolling her eyes when she said the word 'love'.