(41) 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘐 𝘴𝘢𝘺

A/N

*trigger warning for this chapter again - throughout - family-related things that I know some people may find upsetting or triggering*

Extra warning: mentions of abortion.

Give it some love and feedback! Share around, help me get 10K reads!

I love you all and I hope you enjoy this chapter the best you can haha.

C x

___

"I don't wanna go back downstairs, not gonna lie." I mumbled into my hands, laid on my back on the plush sheets of the bed in my ex-bedroom. "I want to curl up in a ball and die."

"Don't say things like that, Maria, there's no benefit in it, is there?" I felt the bed weigh down next to me and I rolled to the side a bit, pressing into the side of Brian's body. I whimpered, rolling completely on my side and burying my head into his stomach, resting on his lap. His hand came up to stroke at my hair, which somehow soothed my growing anxiety, but didn't rid of it completely. "It'll only be bad or awkward initially, yeah?" When I didn't answer him, he coaxed me up to where I was sat beside him, face to face.

"I don't want them to hurt you..." I whispered, looking directly into his beautiful hazel eyes. It was true: although Brian was a strong man and wasn't too susceptible to getting easily offended, my parents always had a way of wording things that would make you second guess anything you thought. Intentionally or not, they played off your insecurities and in turn, it just made whatever insecurities you had much, much worse.

"Oh, Maria, darling. They can't hurt me." He whispered back, taking my face in his hands. "And they won't hurt you. Not whilst I'm here. I've seen way too much sadness from you at the hands of your family and being up here. I'm not letting you go home with any more."

Home. London was my home. I never thought I'd be saying that – but I was. And I was proud of it. My home was with Brian and the boys, even Emma and Mary.

"I love you." I lowered my whisper a bit more so I could be certain it was just us and us only.

He reciprocated it by pressing his lips to mine, uttering the common phrase back during the process. When our lips touched, it felt like the confidence and bravery that Brian always possessed had trickled into my own bloodstream – part of him was permanently with me.

Pulling away, my thoughts forced my eyes to focus on my feet. "I hope I didn't leave any tracks downstairs." I still had my trainers on. I kicked them off, finding myself stalling. I'm awful, I know, just say it. Brian chuckled beside me, following suit and slipping off his clogs. That's when I realised, he'd worn the clogs I got him for Christmas. I smiled at the fact before I decided it was time to face the harsh hit of reality.

"Right..." I sighed, pulling myself up onto my feet with an exaggerated groan. "Let's just get this over with."

"I'm sure everything will be fine, love." Brian ran his hand over my back as we made our way out into the upstairs landing and hallways.

"Oh my God, is this the Rockstar?!"

I turned my head in the direction of the voice and squealed in delight, rushing forward to engulf my fifteen-year-old partner in crime into a tight hug. He wriggled in my hold, feigning disgust but ultimately returning the gesture with as much emotion as he could muster.

"I missed you. You left me alone. With them." Chris grimaced when he pulled away, resting a hand on his hip and looking over my shoulder. I flushed a bit, promptly moving to the side. I reached out to Brian, to which he took my hand and I almost presented him to my brother as though he was a prized possession.