Valentina: 

I cough quietly, looking Lee in the eye. "No, I mean, getting attention from a guy and know it's going nowhere, like they're just messing around." 

Lee nods, her face sympathetic. "Like Zach." 

I rub my forehead, going along. "Yeah, like him." 

"Well, I just don't think Cody is good for you Tina babe. Like come on. You and I both know that he's going to break your heart."

I take a drink from my coffee. "I think I'm a big girl now, Lee." 

Lee looks taken aback, but she nods, her mouth a straight line. "Of course you are. Fine, do whatever you want." She stands up. "But I can't promise I won't smack a bitch if he tries anything. I'm going to order a tea, do you want anything else?"

"No thanks." I watch her go, thinking about how she'd even react if she knew what yesterday had  entirely consisted of. 

We drink and chat and Lee plans to come over in a few days to help me pack orders. The business is going kind of slow, and I don't want to blame Lee but come on. She's in charge of the website. I'm surprised we're still making enough money to call it a business. 

"Ok, I'm going to go. I've got a pilates lesson today with Abby. Ronnie's coworker. Ronnie doesn't like her, but I think she's pretty cool. Wanna come?" Lee stands up, looking at me. 

"Working out, now? I'm filled with coffee. And half of your muffin. If I work out I will vomit." I follow Lee, digging my keys out. 

"Fine big baby," We walk out together, standing in the parking lot. "I'll text you later, bye Tina." 

"Bye Lee." I watch her jog to her car, turning to walk to mine. My phone vibrates with a message from Cody. 

Pick u up? 

I run my tongue against my teeth. Designated driver? 

Cody: fINE, same place? 

I sit in my car and look around. This is too much like old times. I don't know what to feel about it. 

Jesse: Attachment: 1 image. 

I open it and it's a picture of him standing in his bathroom, shirtless. WHAT THE FUCK? I exit it out of the message and lean back. After a second I open the message. His chest is covered with tattoos, a towel covering his bottom half. Why why why. I breathe out and zoom in, then close the message again. 

Jesse: FUCK SORRY! Don't open. Wrong person. 

Lee and Valentina have a long stretch of letters in between. There's no way it could even remotely be a mistake. I don't even bother responding to Jesse, turning the key into the ignition and trying to get that image of him out of my brain so I can focus on the road. 

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Valentina: 

Cody pushes his luck when we go out to drinks, his arm going around my waist or falling in a casual effort around my shoulders. He brings me against him when we brush past people to make space. I slowly pull away, digging my hands into my pockets and taking a seat at the counter. 

"Lemme guess, a Moscow mule, no syrup, extra lime?" Cody sits next to me, tapping his finger against the counter. He waves to a bartender. 

"Yup. Rum and coke, extra lime?"