Chapter 16

Bukky’s POV: Hide and seek was our thing right from the start, I’m always the seeker and he always hides perfectly all the time.

Entering the street, Bukky and Florence took their time studying the alley as they passed, it was the dead end of the street, and hostile faces peered them as they walked. The street was marred by graffiti it was a slum. The only attractive building there was the BIF pharmacy and provision store that overlooked the alley. The houses on the street were built into each other, a typical ghetto. Every compound here is built into each other, they looked like a marred piece of jigsaw.

According to the Police reports, the alley facing the pharmacy/provision store led to the murder scene, sighing deeply, they both took the path, the faces they passed on the path were buried in their businesses, some children playing, some women sitting outside gossiping, some men and boys were talking among themselves, someone asked them if they were lost but they said they replied in the negative and thanked him. They finally got to the scene, it had been taken care of by the police.

“Bukky, bring out your phone” Florence whispered to her

“Why?” Bukky questioned curiously.

“Because if what we read in the report is true, then I can’t bring out my phone. It’s expensive and big. It will attract people but your phone is normal, no offense” Florence explained

“Cool” Bukky replied as she pulled her phone from her cross bag and gave it to Florence, Florence crosschecked the pictures from the report to the terrain of the buildings around the scene.

“There” Florence pointed at a building at the far end of the alley, they walked as quickly as they could but not to attract suspicions. They got to the building, they discovered that it was a building but with a fence. According to the Police reports and the pictures Banky’s body was found beside the fence.

“So, what do you think?” Florence asked Bukky

“It’s not possible to dump the body here after he has been killed because the people around here are suspicious, plus it’s lively and loud” Bukky stated clearly, demonstrating with her hands.

“Plus this fence is too high for someone to scale easily, cos of all these broken bottles and nails on it” Florence added her own suggestion

“So, the killer must have escaped through the way we came in” Bukky said and turned to the path through which they came.

“This is a lost cause Bukky, the case has been closed since six months ago, you might not find anything” Florence stated as softly as she could without hurting her feelings.

“You think we can ask around; someone might have seen something” Bukky asked

“Nah, Nah, Nah that’s the worse we could do Bukky, the people around here are hostile, there might even be the killer among them, It will be suspicious and dangerous for two students to ask about a murder that happened six months ago” Florence explained

“So there’re nothing we came do?” Bukky asked looking bashed and defeated.

“Let’s just go back and regroup, we can think of something” Florence explained and Bukky sighed
“Let’s go”

The girls walked back to the path which they came from as they got to the pharmacy/provision store, the dusty harmattan wind blew and they had to protect their eye, Bukky and Florence closed their eyes and covered their faces with their palms to. The wind subsided and Bukky lifted up her face to protect it from the dust, the sun rays filtered into her eyes, she opened her eyes carefully and slowly, then her eye caught something.