Chapter 5: Red Mug

JANNA LIM OPENED her puffy eyes. What? Janna thought. Did I hear my full name? She waited, but only chirps of birds tickled her eardrums. All right. She closed her eyes again.

"Janna Lim!" a female voice. "It's Grace Roberts!"

"It's morning!" Janna shouted, still lying on her couch.

"Then, good morning!"

"Get lost, Kim Eun Hye!"

"Ya!" Grace protested. "It's Grace Roberts!" After a moment of silence, Grace shouted again. "Ya! Janna! Open. The door. Now!"

Glaring at her door, Janna took several deep breaths

Glaring at her door, Janna took several deep breaths. Calm down, Janna, she told herself.

Janna got up and approached the door, ignoring her visitor's demands. As she twitched the doorknob, she heard Grace mumble: "Are you even a true friend?"

* * *

GRACE CROSSED HER arms. "Are you even a true friend?" After rolling her eyes, she noticed two set of feet. Her eyes traveled through a towering stature. Janna's.

"Am I even a true friend?" Grace heard how Janna emphasized it.

"O-Of course, you are!" Grace then hugged Janna and kissed her on the cheek. While releasing Janna, Grace added: "Ugh, you don't smell nice."

"What?" Janna raised her voice. "I'm closing the door. Get lost!"

Janna entered the small apartment. As usual, Grace thought, as she stopped the door from shutting.

"I'm just kidding, Rockstar." Grace entered, chased Janna, and clung onto her arm. "Hey, Janna... Don't be mad na...." Grace saw Janna's eyes roll.

"Okay," Janna muttered, "but close the door for me."

Right away, Grace released Janna's arm and obeyed. While closing the door, Grace saw that Janna glided straight to the couch. "Aw, gonna hibernate?" She heard Janna's "Hmm-mm," which Grace knew meant "yes."

Standing by the circular table two meters away from the couch, Grace glimpsed at Janna and thought: I guess it's a wrong time to tell her that Chris Yoon is back. She's sleepy and grumpy. Convincing her to attend the reunion is gonna be futile... So . . . what to do? Still staring at Janna, Grace sighed. Okay... I'll keep it a secret. Well, for now.

"Why are you here?" Janna groaned. "I wanna sleep."

"Right." Grace chuckled. "But you've let me in. I'm surprised."

"Y'know why? You're a demanding queen," Janna replied as she threw her arms to the air, with her eyes still closed, "and instead of greeting me, you asked if I were a true friend? Manners, please."