#5: But Why Mommy?

Ahh, the age-old question. Why is the sky blue? Why are penguins birds if they can't fly? Why did the chicken cross the road?

Give a reason for your critique.

Yes, we know, they're the ones asking for your feedback, but you still have to justify that feedback. There has to be a method to the madness.

As a Writer, it once again shows your partner is paying attention. Knowing the reason also gives you a good idea what the root of the critique comes from.

"Kelly pulling the tampon dispenser off the wall doesn't fit because she's always been timid and mousey up to now. This strength comes out of nowhere."

Of course, if you're getting a good critique, a solution would be offered. Even with that, though, you know you need to add subtle hints in the beginning that Kelly has super strength. Or straight up say it and adjust the "timid" appearance to show she's really just trying not to break everything she touches. Or slowly build subtle signs of anger until timid little Kelly finally blows a gasket, but the readers can see it coming, if only in hindsight.

Getting the answer to Why your critique partner came to that conclusion often tells you what the real problem is, even if the partner only caught the symptoms.

As a Critique Partner, knowing the why is knowing the craft. Giving good feedback not only improves the story you're working on, it improves your ability to analyze your own writing. Knowing why something works or doesn't work immediately tells you how you can make it work, or change it to subvert expectations.