A quarter past Four

My heart was thudding as I saw Charlie taking deep breaths as the firing team lined him up against the pole. He was so brave. I looked up into the sky and saw a crow come and sit down on the electric fence. It jumped up in shock and immediately fell to the ground. His mouth wide open as I picked him up. I held him in one hand and gave him a stroke on the head with my other hand. I signalled the firing team to hold on. They lowered their guns. Charlie whispered " Tommo, what are you doing!?". "You'll see" I replied placing the dead crow in the pocket, directly on the cross the firing team had drawn that marked where to aim, where his heart was. I gave him the last hug. "The next time I look into the sky you will be there," I told him, holding his hand in mine. "Take care of little Tommo for me, will you?" Charlie replied pulling my hand out of his. I slowly backed away, holding tears back. "Private Charlie Peaceful's actions did not befit the acts of a soldier. Although he fought on our side of the war we cannot forgive his actions towards Seargent Hanley," the spokesman stuttered . "Seargent 'Horrible' Hanley" I muttered to Pete. "Private Charlie Peaceful will always be remembered in our hearts. Amen" the spokesman finished. "Amen" we replied. The spokesman picked the blindfold up off the table. I think he gulped as I could see the little ball roll down his throat. Charlie pushed him away. He smirked at me. Oh. I know what he is thinking. Yes, for sure. He is pleased with all the attention he is getting. I looked up into the sky. I heard the shot...

***