Chapter 1

-JUNE, 2257, ENGLAND-
The screams, the wails of infants, mothers trying to calm their terrified children, these were the only things that Mark had to keep himself from losing his grip on sanity. The ear-splitting shrieks of terror echoed through the underground bunker that he, his wife Linda and three other young families shared as protection from the ragging war above them.

The agonised cries of falling soldiers were clearly audible, even over the chaos caused by young terror-stricken children.

During these traumatising events, mothers somehow managed to seem calm and collected for the sake of their children, as well as knowing that every cry of agony could be one of their husbands, brothers, or possibly even fathers. how on earth they had the power to do so was something that Mark had always been oblivious to.

"Do you think the war will ever end?" Asked Mark's wife Linda in her gentle-natured voice, snapping him out of his revere. "I mean, it's been going on for almost six years now. when is all of this madness going to end; if it ever will at least?"

This is something that Mark thought about often. 'Will the war ever end?' Countless answers had run through his head time and time again, but none seed to realistically fit their situation.

After a few more moments that Mark took to think about his answer, he finally said in a calm, emotionless tone, "I think the was will end, I just don't think we will be alive to celebrate our new found freedom." And with that, he got to his feet and walked away.