playing with prey (part 5)

Silas pov 

 day of attack

My heart thumping so fast I thought for a second I was having a heart attack. "Father..." I began "Shut up Silas, they're monsters"my fists clench "they lure men to their death, they killed your uncle. have you forgotten? have you forgotten Finn? have you forgotten John Donnelly? or what about Sammy? the boy was just sixteen when a Siren lured him into the ocean." I let out a troubling breath "please father, i'm begging you" one of the horns from the ships rang out ,I suddenly come back to reality on the board walk "why do you defend them so, son?" I see Kora's alluring face in my mind , hear her bewitching laugh.. sure there's a chance she's just playing with her prey before the kill but i'm willing to take that chance for her "i'll go with you" I say. if i'm there maybe i'll be able to stop it "what?" my father asks bewildered "i'll go with you. you said I need to stop defending them so i'll go. ill prove myself to you" father looks a little taken back but slowly nods "here, put these in your ears it keeps the sirens from making you fall into their arms" he hands me beeswax.

You could see the meadow of sketetons through the water. I run my fingers through my ashy hair nervously. the only siren I've met has been Kora. I was laying against the railing on my ship when I saw an angel, blue and silver radiated from her, her eyes were completely white, she was talking in rhymes "come here my dear, please don't fear. -" suddenly her eyes turn into a crystal blue and i snap out of my trance. She almost looks guilty but she swims off too soon for me to tell. ever since that day I would see her trailing me. one night I was laying on the beach and spotted her out of the corner of my eye. I took a deep breath and gathered my courage "so are you going to kill me or what?" i wouldn't of said this if I knew sirens can walk when they're dry "maybe"she said with a smirk as she walked out of the ocean. My jaw dropped.

I smile to myself thinking about how much happier I was back then. when it was just me and Kora, now she's getting married... to a mermaid princess... how unlucky can a man be? i'm snapped out of my thoughts when i hear people yelling. the attack has already begun, men throwing harpoons, and throwing bombs over board. I see sirens crawling up the sides of the ship, hissing and revealing their sharp fangs. there was blood everywhere. swiftly I was thrown to the floor. a siren was on top, I held her by the wrists, she was biting at me, with a grunt i throw her off and before I knew it I had a knife in my hand and her blood on me. I immediately think of Kora and praying someone hasn't done the same to her "oh my love, please be safe." I said to myself. "what are you doing, standing around like that!" I turn to him already holding myself back from throwing him overboard. The man looks at the siren I just murdered then a smile spreads on his face "The bitch deserves it" anger bubbles up inside of me. My fist connects to his jaw and I watch as he falls into the pit of sirens, no regret in my heart.