Chapter Twenty-Seven

Whatever I was doing, I needed to do it now. Keeping an eye on Gallagher, I opened the well of energy, spilling delicious heat through my body.

Nix grabbed my arm. "What are you doing? When I said force, I didn't mean for you to destroy the Court to make your point."

A ghost of a smile curled my lips. "What do you feel?" I placed a hand against his cheek and urged him closer to me. "Do you feel anger in me now? Destruction? Do I feel out of control?"

He sighed, leaned into my touch, and cupped his hand over mine. Gallagher stepped in behind him, his eyes narrowed with worry.

"I feel purpose in that power." Nix's voice sounded breathy. "It's incredible, like being filled with the rays of the sun."

Some of the tension went out of Gallagher, and he offered an approving smile.

I placed a kiss on Nix's forehead. "You wanted me to be queen, so I'll be queen. Trust me now."

Hold on, Liam. I'm coming.

Nix gasped and stumbled back when I released him. A drunken smile quirked his lips. "They won't know what hit them."

"That's sort of the point."

A few of the guards opened the doors to the Court. Raging voices smashed into me as I entered with Gallagher and Nix on my heels. My hair whipped out behind me in current of energy as I made my way to the front.

I raised my hands to the sides, shoving my Light out through my fingertips. Slowly, the noise diminished to hushed whispers.

The guards spread out and mounted the platform, watching me with smiles as I climbed up after them. When I whirled to face the Court, I found mouths hanging open. Most of the fae sported a deep scowl, and the air shimmered around them. Some wore grins of pleasure as my Light continued to saturate the room.

"Callandra was right." My voice echoed into the distant ceiling. "I'm not my mother, nor will I ever be like her. She taught me nothing of the Court. She didn't even tell me I was fae, or why I could do the things I can do." I sat on the arm of the ridiculous throne. "But I think she knew none of that would help me, that I needed to find my own way here, to see and experience the cold place the world has become. It hardened and honed me for this task. I didn't understand that until just now, even when my wise advisor tried to explain it to me earlier."

Gallagher offered a subtle bow, and I got the feeling his cheeks would have been bright pink if they weren't so darkly pigmented to begin with.

"She knew kindness, glitter, and protocol wouldn't give me the weapons I needed to go to war." I launched to my feet. "And make no mistake, this is war. The second fae war if I understand our history correctly. If Parthalan wins, you'll be under his rule, and the humans will cease to exist as anything but cruel, carnal beasts for his amusement."

Mouths began to close, and some of the fae shifted forward in their seats.

I had their attention, now I needed to keep it. "I also know none of you can help me against Parthalan, so I won't ask it of you. But that doesn't mean you can crawl off again until it's over. If I fail in what I'm about to do, then he'll come for this city, and whoever doesn't pledge their fealty to him will die along with Dun Bray."

Nix shot a wary glance at me.

I edged further away from him. "Before I leave here, I'll alter the portal."

Both Gallagher and Nix reacted with a rush of power, but with my Light already flooding the air, I thrust my hands out to them and said, "Sleep." I'd counted on them both having their guard down, and I'd found some luck at last. My will burst through their consciousness at that close proximity, and both fell in a heap at the edge of the platform. "I'm sorry."